Snow forces Fakenham race meeting to be abandoned
Fakenham's scheduled seven-race card planned for Thursday afternoon has been abandoned.
The course is currently covered in snow and frozen in places underneath and there is no prospect of temperatures rising high enough for sufficient thaw.
David Hunter, clerk of the course at the North Norfolk track, inspected at noon today and was forced to admit defeat.
'There's been a little movement, but we've still got three inches of snow on the course. The temperature peaked at minus 11C last night, much against the forecast, and we are only about 2C at the moment. We're just not going to get there in time, I'm afraid.'
The news is a blow to Fakenham who lost its planned Sunday fixture almost two weeks ago to the severe frost.
You may also want to watch:
The next scheduled meeting at the track is on Friday, February 15 with a first race time of 1.10pm.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 4 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 5 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 6 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 7 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 8 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 9 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 10 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’