Snow forces Fakenham race meeting to be abandoned
Fakenham's scheduled seven-race card planned for Thursday afternoon has been abandoned.
The course is currently covered in snow and frozen in places underneath and there is no prospect of temperatures rising high enough for sufficient thaw.
David Hunter, clerk of the course at the North Norfolk track, inspected at noon today and was forced to admit defeat.
'There's been a little movement, but we've still got three inches of snow on the course. The temperature peaked at minus 11C last night, much against the forecast, and we are only about 2C at the moment. We're just not going to get there in time, I'm afraid.'
The news is a blow to Fakenham who lost its planned Sunday fixture almost two weeks ago to the severe frost.
You may also want to watch:
The next scheduled meeting at the track is on Friday, February 15 with a first race time of 1.10pm.
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 5 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 6 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 7 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 8 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 9 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 10 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?