Smith’s classy finish makes it an away-day to remember for Lowestoft Town

Lee Smith of Lowestoft Town scores the winning goal against Colwyn Bay FC during the Conference Nort

Lee Smith of Lowestoft Town scores the winning goal against Colwyn Bay FC during the Conference North match at Llanelian Road, Old Colwyn.Picture by Michael Sedgwick/Focus Images Ltd +44 7900 36307218/04/2015 - Credit: Michael Sedgwick/Focus Images

Lowestoft Town produced an excellent performance to make their 610-mile round trip to Colwyn Bay thoroughly worthwhile as Lee Smith grabbed the only goal of the came.

Colwyn Bay seemed to lack the passion normally associated with clubs trying to pull away from the drop zone but had chances which were thwarted by some stout Lowestoft defending before Lee Smith netted what is arguably the best team goal of the season.

With Omar Sowunmi carrying a knock and joining Andrew Fisk and Danny Crow on the injured list Curtis Haynes-Brown moved to the centre of defence with Adam Smith coming in at full back. Robert Eagle replaced the suspended Rossi Jarvis in the centre of midfield.

Lowestoft were first to show in the opening half with Jake Reed being brought down just outside the area and Lee Smith's direct free kick brought an excellent tip over save from Chris Anna. Ashlee Jones' long punt forward was nodded down by Shaun Bammant but Reed was well wide with a volley.

Colwyn Bay were also keen to attack at every opportunity and a good cross from the right by Wes Baynes was hit on the turn by Rob Hopley but it flashed narrowly wide.

A tremendous 40-yard diagonal ball from Jack Ainsley picked out Bammant's run but in the act of shooting he was tackled by Baynes.

The first half ended with Jones saving a free kick from James Ellison and then diving bravely at the feet of Colwyn danger man Obi Anoruo.

Most Read

Lowestoft seemed to up the tempo at the start of the second period with Eagle seeing a 25-yard rocket whistle just wide of the post and then Bradley Woods-Garness twice seeing volleys fly narrowly off target.

The defining minute of the game arrived in the 54th minute. Sam Gaughran slipped as he turned to chase a through ball allowing Anoruo a clear run at goal and after drawing Jones from his goal squared the ball to Hopley. At the edge of the six-yard box and with an open goal in front of him he somehow shot against the legs of Adam Smith as he chased back to cover.

Lowestoft immediately took the play to the other end where a superb exchange of passes featuring several players ended with Woods-Garness clipping the ball over the defence for Lee Smith to send a sublime lob over the advancing Sanna into the net. This stung the Bay into more forceful action with Tom Buckley sending the overlapping Michael Lea away but there was no-one up to take advantage of his viciously whipped low cross.

Anoruo then again made an opening for Hopley at the edge of the six-yard box but again the striker could only hit the body of a covering defender.

Colwyn were now relying on long balls forward to utilise the pace of Anoruo and his shot on the turn hit the side netting.

The final action though saw Lowestoft again on the attack with a raking pass from Haynes-Brown picking out Dean Mason but he could only manage to stab the ball wide of the target.