Smith back in action tonight for reserves
Midfielder Jimmy Smith is set to make his return to competitive action for Norwich City tonight.The 20-year-old, on loan from Chelsea, will play for City Reserves in their Pontin's Holidays Combination match at Ipswich.
Midfielder Jimmy Smith is set to make his return to competitive action for Norwich City tonight.
The 20-year-old, on loan from Chelsea, will play for City Reserves in their Pontin's Holidays Combination match at Ipswich.
Smith has yet to make a first-team appearance for the Canaries after suffering an ankle injury in the match against FC Zwolle during the pre-season tour of Holland.
But he has returned from Chelsea and has been back in training at Colney over the past week, and he should get his first outing for three months at Portman Road (7pm).
Caretaker manager Jim Duffy confirmed: "Jimmy will be involved if he suffers no reaction to his work. He's been taking part in training sessions, albeit with a bit of protection - we don't want to go overboard with him.
"Now it's just a question of getting him into competitive action. The reserve match on Monday will be the first real decent chance to have a look at him."
- 1 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 2 PICTURES: The best-dressed punters at Fakenham Ladies Day
- 3 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 4 Michael McIntyre and Robert Rinder spotted at Carrow Road
- 5 City councillor investigated after Facebook golliwog post complaint
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 8 Fly-tipping mattresses costs mother and son over £1,000
- 9 Eleventh McDonald's drive-thru could be set for Norwich
- 10 Greyhound saved from euthanasia among five dogs looking for homes
Duffy said it had taken a short time for the players to settle down in training after the departure of manager Peter Grant.
He said: "Training was obviously a little bit different in the sense that the manager has only been gone a couple of days and it takes time to settle down. We are not going to change things dramatically.
"There is an element that the players may be a bit subdued. A lot of them were brought in by Peter Grant, they are frustrated and some of them are bitterly disappointed. The manager had great rapport with the players."
Dion Dublin is one injury concern ahead of City's return to action, after being substituted at half-time in the 1-0 defeat at Queen's Park Rangers because of a stiff back.
Ipswich are seeking permission to play triallists Steve Marlet and Marcin Adamski in the reserve game tonight. They need clearance from the last clubs the players were at and from their respective leagues before they can register the Frenchman and the Pole to appear in the reserve league.