Short mat: Last day drama as the East Coast Triples goes to wire
- Credit: Archant
Kerry Greenacre of Haddiscoe and Anglian Window's Diane and Mike Boswell are the new Potter's East Coast Triples champions after a thrilling finish on the fourth day of play at Potter's Leisure Resort in Hopton-on-Sea.
Mike Boswell's triple enjoyed a great East Coast Triples opening day, winning all five games as did Shirley Brown of Costessey and Margaret and Malcolm Reynolds of RG Carter.
Boswell added four wins from five games on day two to retain the lead two points ahead of Reynold's triple and Paul Swain, Derek Barley and Margaret Barley of Carlton Colville.
Boswell looked almost home and dry after three day's play which left him on 26 points with Barley on 23 and Reynolds losing ground on 21.
Only two sessions remained on the last day and Boswell needed only one point to lift the trophy. But his triple suffered a 7-4 defeat against Margaret Barley's triple to set up an intriguing last session. Boswell faced Cambridgeshire's Lonnie Fyson and found himself in a fierce battle while Barley was storming ahead against Tony Orpin's Essex triple on the adjoining mat. If Boswell lost this match Barley would have completed a great last day comeback but Boswell achieved a 5-5 draw to leave his triple level with Barley on points but with a vastly superior shots difference. Malcolm Reynold's triple finished third.
You may also want to watch:
In the Potter's East Coast Pairs there was an emotional win for Paul Cairns and Tony Orpin of Essex side East Hanningfield who beat Margaret and Malcolm Reynolds of RG Carter 10-6 in the final.
Tony had originally entered the event with his wife Jenny who later sadly passed away.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 5 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 6 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 7 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 8 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 9 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 10 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
In the third place play-off Peter and Sue Fox of Horsford Heroes beat Gwen and Richard Brown of Kent side Boughton under Water.