Short Mat Bowls: Sprowston made to work hard for Norwich Cup success
On paper it had looked an easy home tie in the Norwich Cup for Sprowston SSC against Connaught B but the teams were still locked together at 8-8 on points after four sessions.
Sprowston finally broke down the visitors' resistance winning the last four games to complete a 16-8 victory to reach the next round. Linda Chadwick, Les Chadwick and David Dewing were the star turn on the night winning their three games by 4-2, 7-2 & 15-2.
Coltishall reached the semi-finals of the Norfolk County Cup with a 6-2 win at Connaught A. Margaret Harman's triple led the way with a 16-11 win against Owen Secker.
South Norfolk League runaway leaders Hempnall took another maximum 10 points as they beat Watton. Horsford Heroes' bid for the runners-up spot was helped by a 6-4 home win against Watton.
Horsford BC slumped to their eighth successive defeat in the Bure League as visitors East Tuddenham had Albert Palgrave, Chrissie Turner & John Turner to thank for their victory. Defending champions Kirby Bedon won 6-4 at Hevingham after winning on three mats but suffered a heavy defeat in the remaining game. Phil Watson's triple won 17-11, Joe Brown's triple won 17-12 and Alistair Hunter's triple won 16-14 but a thumping 18-4 win for Hevingham's Mervyn Williamson, Eddie Heyward & David Sharpe earned Hevingham a four-point share of the spoils.
Kirby Bedon entertained Hevingham in their Bure Cup first leg clash and built up a 16-8 lead to take into the second leg with Kirby's Leonora Chilman, Teresa Goldsmith and Selwyn Goldsmith winning all of their three games.
Tens League action saw Hevingham finally end their miserable run of form with a 3-0 home win against Connaught. Connaught opened well with on-form Sylvia Parsons, with Chris Musk at lead, crushing Gill Bunn and George Clarke by 21-9. Peter King's triple added a 13-11 win against Maurice Kemp to put the visitors 14 shots up at the break.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 3 Norfolk zoo keeper abandoned as a baby reunited with mother in ITV show
- 4 9 of the best campsites on the Norfolk coast
- 5 Norwich man in court over £3.5m whiskey theft
- 6 Café completely sells out on first week of launching Sunday roasts
- 7 Men fined more than £600 for fishing illegally
- 8 Woman freed from vehicle after car overturns near to shops
- 9 'Mishap' at historic hotel as van crashes into entrance wall
- 10 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
Pat Williamson and Vic Woods turned the match around in the second half as they cruised to a 28-8 win against former County team favourites Diana and Bill Adcock. Mervyn Williamson, Eddie Heyward & David Sharpe continued the good work for Hevingham beating an all County team triple of Elaine Oatway, Ty Musk and Bob Oatway 16-6.
Kirby Bedon entertained Coltishall and also had to produce a good second half to win 2-0.