Short Mat Bowls - Hevingham into semis
Hevingham reached the semi-finals of the Norfolk Summer Cup with a resounding 8-0 win at Horsford A.
The visitors had a great start as Vic Woods, Pat Williamson and Maurice Kemp crushed Chris Woodhouse's triple by 24-9 and Ian MacLean, Alan Bunn and David Sharpe beat Vic Webster's triple by 18-9. Horsford A, currently at the foot of Division Two, had no answer to their Division One visitors who came out for the second half with their tails up as Kemp's triple rattled off a 19-6 win and Sharp's triple won by 22-10 to complete the demolition.
High flying Wymondham were expecting a comfortable home victory against struggling Horsford B but had to fight all the way against a tenacious Horsford team. After an extremely close match Horsford's Carol Kemp, Peter Fox and Roger Frank needed to win the remaining game if the visitors were to pull off the shock of the season, but despite heroic resistance they lost a close game by just 14-10.
Watton Green provided the giant killing of the quarter-finals by beating Division One side Kirby Bedon B 6-2.
As the league season enters its final month defending champions Bob Carter and Wymondham are locked together on 46 points each at the top of Division One. Bob Carter won 6-2 at Kirby Bedon B while Wynondham's 4-4 draw at Kirby Bedon A cost them their two point lead over Carter in the table.
You may also want to watch:
A busy week for Kirby A saw them go down 6-2 at Thurton, where the home side collected valuable points in their fight against relegation, and then win 6-2 at Horsford B who are also in danger of the drop. Maurice Kemp skipped his Hevingham triple to wins of 19-6 and 14-12 as they earned a 4-4 draw at Horsford B. Division Two leaders Anglian Windows won 6-2 at Diss Green. Keith Halford's triple added a 17-13 win to leave Diss facing a battle to avoid relegation. Promotion hopefuls Thorpe Marriott A earned a 4-4 draw at Horsford B while in Division Three second placed Deaf Sports suffered a 7-1 defeat against Hingham Yellow.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 4 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 5 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 6 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 7 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 8 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 9 Cycling trail among ideas for new country park
- 10 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village