Short mat bowls: Brown battles to quarters
In the National Championships at Bromsgrove IBC, the best Norfolk performance of the four days came in the National Fours Championships where Neil Davidson, Kim Bridge, Nigel Willard & Trevor Brown reached the quarter-finals before losing 11-6 to the eventual winners Oxfordshire 2.
Brown's rink lost their opening game by one shot against West Sussex 2 but wins against Hertfordshire 1 and Suffolk 1 earned them a place in the knock-outs.
They went on to beat Somerset 2 by 11-4 and Hampshire 1 by 7-6 before a fascinating game against G Cross, T Cross, G Davies & A Brown ended in defeat as Norfolk's former Oxfordshire star faced his son in a crucial game.
Diane Boswell, Mike Boswell, Phil Watson & Selwyn Goldsmith started the day well beating Jody Bright's fancied Hampshire rink and followed with wins against North Yorks 3 & Wiltshire 1 by 14-1. A 9-6 win against Humberside 1 followed to take them into the Last 16 where they were beaten by Mark Lancaster's West Sussex 2 rink.
Mikey George, Andrew Stratton, Jack Barrett & Mark Linsdell reached the Last 32 stage before losing 8-6 to West Sussex 2. In the final Oxfordshire 2 beat Cornwall 1 by 17-5.
You may also want to watch:
In the National Singles Championships Kirby Bedon's Selwyn Goldsmith reached the Last 16 before losing to the defending champion Craig Burgess of Essex. In the group stages Goldsmith won his opening game 13-9 against Northants & England player Chris Weston and a 14-3 win against Peter Griffiths of Hertfordshire secured a place in the knock-outs. A 13-7 win against Gloucestershire's Ryan Knight followed before his defeat against Burgess.
Hempnall's Neil Davidson reached the last 32 before also losing to Craig Burgess. In the final Jason McLean beat David White in an all Hampshire match. In the National Triples Mikey George, Jack Barrett & Mark Linsdell reached the Last 16 before losing 11-2 against Mark Lancaster's West Sussex 2 triple. The all Wymondham triple of Andy Stratton, Debs Phillips & Chris Mann lost by 12-5 to Essex 4 in the last 32.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 3 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 4 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 5 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 6 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 7 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 8 'She loved planting flowers' - Tributes left at home of woman found dead
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village