Shoot-out drama as Mulbarton knock Gorleston out of Norfolk Senior Cup
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Mulbarton Wanderers produced the shock of day in the second round of the Norfolk Senior Cup when they knocked out 2014 winners Gorleston.
The match between sides from the top flights of the Anglian Combination and the Thurlow Nunn League saw Wanderers prevail 4-2 on penalties after the tie at Mulberry Park had ended 2-2 after extra-time.
The hosts had gone 2-0 up early in the second half (Eliot Altay and John Curtis), only for the Greens to quickly level with two goals in the space of 14 minutes from Connor Ingram and Jack Garrod.
There was almost another big upset at the Wellesley, with Aylsham from the Combination's second tier going 2-0 up against Great Yarmouth Town before losing 3-2 after extra-time. Two goals from Matt Billing had Aylsham in dreamland before Mitch Forbes and an own goal put the Bloaters back on level terms and Chaz McAra netted the winner.
Another surprise saw Combination Premier Division Acle going down 2-1 at home to Wymondham Town from Division One. Cameron Hudson scored for the As but goals from Liam Moriarty and Aaron Nixon sealed the upset.
You may also want to watch:
Attleborough beat higher division Reepham 2-0 at home thanks to goals from Jack Flynn and Tom Miles while Mundford won 2-1 after extra-time at St Andrews thanks to goals from Ian Fancett and Josh Walker.
Harleston lost their first game of the campaign as they exited at the hands of Thurlow Nunn Premier side Thetford Town following a 4-1 defeat. Max Melanson, Sam Bond, Ross Bailey and Robbie Priddle got the goals.
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 3 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 4 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 5 Road through village closed by floodwater
- 6 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 7 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 8 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 9 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 10 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
Caister travelled to Thurlow Nunn Division One opposition in Diss Town and, despite goals from Keegan Middleton and George Barnden putting them 2-0 up, wound up on the wrong end of a 4-2 scoreline (Charlie Lambe 2, Tom Ramsay, Will Goulding).
Norwich CEYMS continued their unbeaten start with a 4-0 home win over Bradenham (Lewis McKerrell, Darrell Delaney, David Tayler, own goal) while Scole beat Hindringham 2-0 (Ben Norton-Hugman, Connor Kerry) and Sheringham won 2-1 at UEA thanks to goals from Chris Fuller and Shane Cox. Owen Betts replied.