Shelley seals first point of season for Norwich
EAST WOMEN'S LEAGUE: Norwich City kick-started their season by collecting their first point in an exciting 1-1 draw at Saffron Walden in Division 1NE.
After four successive defeats, City suffered an early blow when Saffron Walden scored in the first minute.
But the visitors refused to let their heads drop and equalised in the second half when Sarah Shelley turned and stroked the ball into the net. In a frantic finale, City keeper Nat Scurll produced some outstanding saves to preserve her side's point.
In Division 2NE, North Walsham earned a 2-0 victory against Ipswich & East Suffolk.
Walsham took the lead midway through the first half following excellent work from Lucy Spencer and Charlotte Else. The decisive second goal arrived in the second period, when Sarah Powell set up Ellen Vanlint to score.
You may also want to watch:
Broadland inflicted a first defeat of the season on Norwich Dragons II, beating them 2-0.
Helen Brockington's looping strike from a penalty corner put Broadland ahead and then Tracey Buxton found Dani Parke, who hit the second.
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 7 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 8 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 9 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 10 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
Sprowston held on to third place with a 2-1 win at Christchurch.
The visitors went ahead when Becky Cox latched on to a through ball and although her initial shot was saved, she squeezed the ball into the net from the rebound.
Just before half-time, another Cox shot was saved only for Amy Lewis--Butler to forced the rebound home.
Christchurch got one back near the end but could not deny Sprowston victory.