Shelley seals first point of season for Norwich
EAST WOMEN'S LEAGUE: Norwich City kick-started their season by collecting their first point in an exciting 1-1 draw at Saffron Walden in Division 1NE.
After four successive defeats, City suffered an early blow when Saffron Walden scored in the first minute.
But the visitors refused to let their heads drop and equalised in the second half when Sarah Shelley turned and stroked the ball into the net. In a frantic finale, City keeper Nat Scurll produced some outstanding saves to preserve her side's point.
In Division 2NE, North Walsham earned a 2-0 victory against Ipswich & East Suffolk.
Walsham took the lead midway through the first half following excellent work from Lucy Spencer and Charlotte Else. The decisive second goal arrived in the second period, when Sarah Powell set up Ellen Vanlint to score.
Broadland inflicted a first defeat of the season on Norwich Dragons II, beating them 2-0.
Helen Brockington's looping strike from a penalty corner put Broadland ahead and then Tracey Buxton found Dani Parke, who hit the second.
- 1 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 2 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 3 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 4 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 5 Winter Wonderland coming to park with ice slide, donkeys and reindeer
- 6 Christmas lights switch-on cancelled due to forecasted high winds
- 7 Panoramic views for every customer after award-winning restaurant's refurb
- 8 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 9 Norfolk boxer fined for exercising in Chapelfield Gardens during lockdown
- 10 Primary pupil sexually assaulted on way to school
Sprowston held on to third place with a 2-1 win at Christchurch.
The visitors went ahead when Becky Cox latched on to a through ball and although her initial shot was saved, she squeezed the ball into the net from the rebound.
Just before half-time, another Cox shot was saved only for Amy Lewis--Butler to forced the rebound home.
Christchurch got one back near the end but could not deny Sprowston victory.