Sheehan shines for Harleston in cup

HARLESTON progressed to the third round of the Norfolk Junior Cup following a solid display against fellow Anglian Combination Division Three side Swaffham Town Reserves.

Town were forced into changes along the back line for this fixture with the influential centre-back pairing of Ryan London and Paul Bliss unavailable along with goalkeeper Rob Goodwin.

This gave 17-year-old centre-back Jamie Sheehan his first start of the season, also coming in for his first game was goalkeeper David Forster.

Having started slowly in the corresponding league fixture Town were looking to come out of the blocks fast, however the first chance fell to the visitors when the striker headed over when well placed.

Harleston gradually found their way into the game and had a good chance of their own when Kieran Passey narrowly fired wide when through.

Harleston took the lead on the 20-minute mark when a Passey flick-on found David Norman who struck a superb left-foot volley from 25 yards, leaving the goalkeeper stranded.

Harleston seemed to slack off following the goal and allowed the visitors too much time on the ball.

Most Read

Town did manage to double their advantage ten minutes from half-time when a fine run from James Trudgill which started in his own half, resulted in a cross that was turned into the Swaffham goal by one of their own players.

The second half began with Town looking to keep the ball and kill off the game.

Harleston's passing improved and they were looking comfortable, however they could not find the killer third goal, Marc Pearce and Kieran Passey both firing wide when in on goal.

At the other end Swaffham began to search for a goal which would throw the game wide open, and they were getting closer. Jamie Sheehan's superb tackle denied the visitors a great opportunity before David Forster was called into action to tip a well-struck shot onto the bar, before denying the Swaffham striker once more with a great stop down to his left when the visitors looked certain to score.

With 20 minutes remaining Harleston got the killer third goal when the energetic Trudgill played a neat one two with Jake Imrie before coolly slotting home his ninth goal of the season.

Substitutes Luke Symonds and Daniel Gallant had chances to increase Town's advantage but the score remained at 3-0 and it was Harleston that progressed to round three.

JD Young's Man Of The Match: Jamie Sheehan – An excellent performance from the young centre-half on his first start of the season.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter