Sexton insists he's next in line for British heavyweight title shot
Archant © 2012
Sam Sexton insists his name should be top of the list for a tilt at the British heavyweight title - when it becomes vacant.
Rising star David Price currently holds the major domestic title as well as the European version, but word from his manager, Frank Maloney, is that he will vacate the British crown – and that is where Sexton comes into the picture.
Sexton is currently on something of a comeback trail after losing to Price a little over a year ago, but the Welshman and the controversial Dereck Chisora remain the only men to have beaten the Norwich boxer.
Sexton is back in action in front of his home fans on June 15 when he intends to rubber-stamp his title credentials.
“According to Maloney, Price will vacate in the not too distant future and there is a lot of posturing in the heavyweight division,” said Sexton.
“I am ranked number five in the country at the moment (Boxing News) and with the others all involved at international level there is only a handful of prospects for the title and I am definitely the man to beat for it, if and when it becomes vacant.”
Sexton has won both his fights since suffering a fourth round KO against Price, but says he learned plenty against the heavy-hitter.
“I fought the biggest man in my career when I was at my smallest, which was probably a mistake on my part, but I have taken that experience and trained hard and got a lot stronger and more aggressive since then and these local fights have really helped me,” he said. “I am back and feel much better and prepared to take on anyone at British or European level. As a team we are now actively looking for the opportunities and I will be ready.”