Senior Cup holders knocked out
Mattishall 0, Hempnall 1
MATTISHALL, holders of the Norfolk Senior Cup, were knocked out in the third round with only five of the side that had enjoyed that unforgettable night at Carrow Road some six months ago.
An improving Hempnall forced two early corners.
On 12 minutes Mattishall's first corner was returned back to Gillies and his deep cross was headed over the bar by Sommerfield.
The visitors continued to have the majority of possession but a long Stenner clearance fell to Fulcher and his snap shot was saved at the second attempt by Cudden.
A excellent run by Edwards saw his cross find Fulcher, who created some space before firing into the side netting.
- 1 Fire crews to remain at scene of nature reserve blaze overnight
- 2 This is when thunderstorms will hit Norfolk this week
- 3 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 4 Norfolk pub named one of the UK's best eateries with a view
- 5 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 6 'Help yourself' - farmer gives away tonnes of onions damaged by heatwave
- 7 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this week
- 8 Brother and sister found dead in home were grieving beloved father
- 9 Police catch over 20 drivers speeding in 45 minutes near fatal crash site
- 10 Holidaymakers face further severe TUI delays from Norwich
Clear-cut chances were at a premium as the game was being fought out in midfield.
From the restart a quick break by the hosts saw Fulcher's strike pushed away by Cudden then Fulcher brought a better save from Cudden.
At the other end an in-swinging corner was tipped over the bar by Pledger.
The deadlock was broken on 67 minutes when a deep cross saw keeper Pledger's decision to punch result in the ball falling at the feet of Browne on the edge of the box. He calmly stroked the ball into the back of the net despite desperate lunges from Sommerfield and Stenner.
It turned into a real blood-and-thunder cup tie with tackles flying in. A Hill free-kick fell to Hewitt but he screwed his shot wide and then a Gillies corner was headed over by Catchpole.
Another surging run by Edwards saw Fulcher volley high and wide.
Mattishall Reserves visited UEA and were defeated 4-2 with Stockwell and Campos the scorers.