Senior Cup holders knocked out
Mattishall 0, Hempnall 1
MATTISHALL, holders of the Norfolk Senior Cup, were knocked out in the third round with only five of the side that had enjoyed that unforgettable night at Carrow Road some six months ago.
An improving Hempnall forced two early corners.
On 12 minutes Mattishall's first corner was returned back to Gillies and his deep cross was headed over the bar by Sommerfield.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors continued to have the majority of possession but a long Stenner clearance fell to Fulcher and his snap shot was saved at the second attempt by Cudden.
A excellent run by Edwards saw his cross find Fulcher, who created some space before firing into the side netting.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 5 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 6 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 7 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 8 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 9 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
Clear-cut chances were at a premium as the game was being fought out in midfield.
From the restart a quick break by the hosts saw Fulcher's strike pushed away by Cudden then Fulcher brought a better save from Cudden.
At the other end an in-swinging corner was tipped over the bar by Pledger.
The deadlock was broken on 67 minutes when a deep cross saw keeper Pledger's decision to punch result in the ball falling at the feet of Browne on the edge of the box. He calmly stroked the ball into the back of the net despite desperate lunges from Sommerfield and Stenner.
It turned into a real blood-and-thunder cup tie with tackles flying in. A Hill free-kick fell to Hewitt but he screwed his shot wide and then a Gillies corner was headed over by Catchpole.
Another surging run by Edwards saw Fulcher volley high and wide.
Mattishall Reserves visited UEA and were defeated 4-2 with Stockwell and Campos the scorers.