Seconds in it as Bloy claims win
Just two seconds separated winner Daniel Bloy (King's Lynn CC) and second-placed Liam Gentry (Strada Sport) in the VC Norwich Bank Holiday '10' on the Wymondham bypass.
On a sunny morning Bloy recorded 20:32 and described the conditions as 'Going out, very good, coming back, more difficult.' That was the majority opinion of this crosswind morning, although Sally Withey of the promoting club (25:16) was one of a number of riders who found it better coming back.
Ladies' winner was Tricia Goulden (West Suffolk Whs) in 23:53, six seconds up on local star Laura Gambling. Another star turn among the ladies came from Elaine Roesner (Wisbech Whs) with a personal best 26:26.
Getting into the top ten in the 115 rider field was James Trenchard (Godric CC), once a star junior and now on the comeback-trail with 21:56. Fastest junior in the VCN event was young Strada Sport rider Ed Slater with 22:31.
The Anglia Velo 10 near Bury St Edmunds was cancelled due to heavy showers and the resulting poor visibility on the A14.
You may also want to watch:
In the London Phoenix Road Race on the short road circuit in Essex used earlier for the Regional Championship Steve Hurrell (Strada Sport) and James Browne (VC Norwich) took 10th and 11th places respectively.
The early part of the 57 mile race was dominated by a six-rider break which included Strada Sport members Mark Westrup and Pete Hargreaves. However this was caught with about 12 miles remaining and three riders escaped. The win went to Hugo Humphries (Leeds University CC), while 19 seconds later Ian Franklin took the big bunch sprint for fourth spot.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 4 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 5 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 6 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 7 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
- 8 Driver's lucky escape as lorry ends up in ditch
- 9 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 10 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
Wymondham-based Imogen Buick (Moda) took third place in the Junior race at the MTB XC National Series races in Essex, while cyclists attending Mildenhall Rally 'enjoyed' some dramatic changes of weather from sunshine to downpours.
VC Norwich 10, Morley: 1 Daniel Bloy (King's Lynn CC) 20:32, 2 L Gentry (Strada Sport), 3 J Burgess (Anglia Sport) 20:49, 4 D McGaw (Cambridge CC) 20:54, 5 D Green (RAF CC) 21:01, 6 C Nurse (North Norfolk Whs) 21:26, 7 M Lloyd (Colchester Rovers) 21:46, 8 G Frost (Velo Velocity) 21:47, 9 R Eve (Wisbech Whs) 21:55, 10 J Trenchard (Godric CC) 21:56. Ladies: 1 Tricia Goulden (West Suffolk Whs) 23:53, 2 L Gambling (CC Breckland) 23:59.