Second-half super show

Wroxham and Wisbech kept the pressure on early Premier Division pacesetters Dereham by recording excellent away victories at the weekend.

With the leaders having a weekend off, the Yachtsmen moved to within two points of top spot, with a game in hand, after turning on the style in the second half to win 4-0 at Newmarket.

David Batch's side have now won five and drawn one of their six fixtures, while Wisbech can now boast a record of five wins and one defeat after winning 2-0 at newly-promoted Diss Town.

Second-half goals from Paul Cook, Andy Eastaugh, David Hinton and Ross Durrant gave Wroxham the points after the hosts had shaded the opening period.

The Yachtsmen came out for the second half with all guns blazing and were two goals to the good within four minutes. Cook netted from close range following Shaun Howes' in- swinging corner and then Cook turned provider to set up Eastaugh.

With 69 minutes on the clock the lively Jordan Rocastle combined with Cook, and Hinton finished well from just outside the area to score his first goal for the club.

Wroxham saved the best goal for last, with Durrant firing in an unstoppable 25-yarder off the underside of the crossbar.

Most Read

Diss had some early pressure against Wisbech, with Danny Partridge sending an overhead kick into the waiting arms of Ryan Rayner and also hitting the side netting.

Wisbech went ahead five minutes from the end after gaining a free kick wide out on their right wing. Jon Fairweather's effort seemed to be wind-assisted as it eluded players from both sides and ended up in the far corner. Two minutes later Liam Nimmo shot in from close range to secure the three points.

Diss manager Rob Taylor was pleased with his side's display despite the defeat.

'I think we were unfortunate unfortunate not to get something out of the game,' he said. ' Their opening goal was a bit of a freak and came so late in the game that we could not get back into it.'

At this early stage Dereham, Wroxham and Wisbech all appear to have got what it takes to mount a strong title challenges – although they will all need to keep an eye on Brantham, who made who made it four wins out of four with an emphatic 4-0 victory at Norwich United.

Two goals from Ollie Mann and one apiece from Sean Gunn and S Webb gave Brantham the points against a United side who had Scott Manning sent off just after half-time on his full debut.

Top-flight new boys Gorleston maintained their encouraging start to the campaign when they twice came from behind to draw 2-2 at Haverhill, a result that made it 10 points from five games since gaining promotion.

Stuart Lodge gave Haverhill an early lead but Gorleston got back on level terms when Ali McKenna was fouled just outside the box and Chris Sandford curled the free-kick over the wall and into the net.

Rovers ended the half on top and restored their advantage through Jack Higgs – but the Greens weren't finished and equalised for a second time on 69 minutes. McKenna found Sandford, who helped the ball on to Steve Taylor and he prodded home from close range to earn Gorleston a share of the spoils.