Sea Fishing: Yarmouth the place to head for codling
Unsurprisingly there have been fewer fishing through the last week, and the weather seems to have changed fortunes around a little.
The shingle ridge which produced double figure bags a week ago barely produced a fish for Holt SAC's match at Weybourne. Mike Watts ran out winner of the third leg of the winter accumulator with the only sizeable fish caught, a 29cm whiting.
Pleasure anglers have found a few dabs on the shingle since the seas and winds have eased, though sport on all of the shallow beaches could get tough if this cold snap drives the feed offshore. Cromer down to Sea Palling has seen some lovely looking seas though the hardy souls fishing in the easterlies have only found whiting, dabs and a few rockling.
There have been a few better fish from Yarmouth southwards, with occasional codling reported from Gorleston, Hopton and Corton.
Below Lowestoft too there were a few fish though I haven't seen or heard of anything during the snows of the past week.
You may also want to watch:
Southwold down to Orford had produced a few small codling which perhaps promises a spring run, there had been fish to 3lbs at Dunwich, Minsmere and Sizewell and also some of a similar size at Aldeburgh and Orford.
It looks like we keep the high pressure and associated east in the winds this week with perhaps a break from the weekend. The neaps we've had during this cold snap may have protected the foreshore, smaller tidal movement leaving less sand exposed to the sub-zero temperatures, with temperatures rising and with a change in the pressure as the tides build, it might well be worth a try this weekend.
- 1 Couple sell pub with Nelson link after council stops project
- 2 Shop worker receives complaints for asking customers to wear face masks
- 3 Derelict pub on eyesore site could be turned into new Co-op store
- 4 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 5 Dog dies and another missing after getting lost in snow
- 6 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 7 'We don't want to close': Farm shop makes plea for support during lockdown
- 8 Norwich sonic boom: RAF confirms jet 'inadvertently' caused bang over city
- 9 'Hot-headed' woman drove car over police officer's foot
- 10 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain