Sea Fishing: Stannard takes top spot at Estuary Championships
Despite the weather's best attempts at spoiling, the beaches have been pretty consistent this week; there seem to be fish about on most of the region's beaches at the minute.
The mackerel have moved in a bit onto the shingle too, there have been plenty showing from the usual haunts, good news for those wanting to target bass with lures.
The Rite Gear sponsored Estuary Championship continued in fine style last Sunday with 30 anglers taking part just over the border at Sutton Bridge. Flatties and eels were the order of the day. Jeff Stannard took top spot from Robert Tuck in second and Andrew Dawkins in third. It's a pretty strong field attracting to rods from East Anglia and further abroad, it's also great to see local tackle businesses putting something back into the sport, well done Rite Gear.
There will be some lure caught bass this week along the shingle, as long as the water stays clear and calm. Mackerel are showing and the bass will be chasing these sporty critters too. Bait anglers will still find a few bass in the north and east though with waters clearing night tides will be best.
The hounds are showing on the Lincolnshire beaches and I think there's a chance this week on our beaches too as long as we can lose this scruffy top to the water.
You may also want to watch:
Sea Palling down to Lowestoft and it's a similar tale with school bass, whiting and odd codling being caught. The smoothound pups are still about here and there too and there are good chances their bigger brethren will pitch up on beaches like Caister before too long.
They could turn up on any of our beaches, and with evening high water in the east of the patch, the weather warming and the wind going west, this could be the week we see some proper hounds.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 3 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 4 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 5 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 6 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 7 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 8 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 9 Former village pub for sale as home
- 10 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'