Sea fishing: Pieces of eight for Henry
There were a few anglers out and about last weekend despite the wind and rain.
Those braving the elements were generally rewarded, albeit with whiting and school bass.
Holt SAC fished the first round of the sea league at Bacton last Sunday. They found a few fish in the trying conditions. Henry Randell ran out winner with a creditable eight fish for 6lb 15oz. Paul Harvey finished second with four fish 4lb 7oz and John Neave third with six for 4lb 6oz. Order of the day were school bass and some decent flounders, not the whiting that we've seen further south though. Teams on the day saw Holt SAC and The Gutter Bashers tied on eight points each with North Norfolk Lads third with 10 points.
The shingle has produced occasional school bass and small flatfish. The flatties should hopefully increase in size and numbers over the next few months, coloured water and night tides will help.
Yarmouth and southwards have been the pick of the beaches this week with lots of whiting, some good ones, and a sprinkling of small codling from Lowestoft north, Thorpeness and Aldeburgh.
I really do hope we get a cod run this year.
The last couple have been disappointing with ony a few fish in the spots they tend to reside in.
- 1 Major incident in city after reports of stabbing
- 2 Film crews for Paramount crime series to visit ANOTHER Norfolk village
- 3 Range Rover hit by train after straying onto level crossing
- 4 Woman stabbed in neck and arm in city park
- 5 Six fire crews battle large field blaze in south Norfolk
- 6 Woman in 50s arrested after house sealed off in quiet street
- 7 46-cabin holiday park proposed for Norfolk countryside
- 8 Here's when parents can get complimentary tickets to BeWILDerwood
- 9 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 10 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
I don't have the full results of the sea league match fished from Gorleston to Hopton steps but know there was plenty of whiting to be caught. The winner had nearly 9lb in daylight.
The week ahead sees the tides falling but high waters in the dark, there's also some decent strength southerly airflow due around the middle of the week.
Watch out for the colour this brings down south. Hopefully there will be a few more codling mixed in with the whiting.