Sea Fishing: Matt benefits as fish take cue from wind shift
The wind swung out of the north-east quarter over the weekend and a few fish responded almost on cue.
Matt Lawes and Rob Allen fished down at Trimingham on Sunday on a very pleasant morning. Matt was first away with a nice codling approaching 3lb followed by a 2lb fish later in the session. Unusually, Rob managed only a dab and a whiting for his efforts, but enjoyed the session anyway – it's always nice to see some decent fish on the beach. I haven't seen a report for the shingle, although I imagine that would have given chances too. The weather seemed to help southwards too with one or two coming out at Yarmouth, Gorleston and Hopton. Kayaks off Hopton had some nice variety too with codling and whiting.
Lowestoft produced some codling along the Corton to Ness point stretch with some beauties of 4lb-plus.
It goes to show what a lift a little bit of warmth and the high pressure easing can do.
There have been a few further south too, though a lot of undersized codling have been reported also – that's great for the future, hopefully, but not so clever when you're hoping for a nice springer.
You may also want to watch:
If the forecast holds for this weekend, the east flow will give way to a southerly which will make it feel positively Mediteranean over the weekend.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a few school bass with a sprinkling of spring codling too.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 6 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 7 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 8 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 9 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
- 10 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000