Sea fishing: Easterlies may be wind of change
There's been little change in the sport this week, though things might shift with some easterlies due and a drop in the temperature expected as we head towards the weekend.
Friends fished the rough ground under the cliffs at Weybourne over the weekend for whiting and rockling; it's a similar story further down the coast, though here we've seen a few very small codling too.
I'd been told that the last two years were good spawning years for the cod, though was surprised we hadn't seen many juvenile fish. There have been a few showing on recent tides from Cromer down, which is promising at least, and those fish just off Lowestoft are still there too, judging by boat catch reports.
The Gorleston Tackle Open was hard work for the competitors last weekend – Rob Tuck claimed top spot with 1lb 15oz at Yarmouth south beach. Hopton and Gorleston beaches have been little better, with whiting and occasional flats. The easterlies due may help here, especially if they blow for a bit.
There have been one or two codling caught from Corton down to Ness point, though, again, these are the exception rather than the rule and go expecting to lose kit.
You may also want to watch:
That theme is continued on the beaches down to Orford – occasional codling, a few of those juvenile codling, but mostly whiting and flats.
I'm hoping, rather than expecting, sport to improve with the coming weather change; in my experience easterlies are rarely good unless they persist for a while, but it might just be the shift that will bring those fish just off Lowestoft inside for a feed. If they do I'd expect the beaches from Gorleston to Kessingland to produce a few. Hopton and Corton would be favourites; evening high waters at Lowestoft and tides building from today increase your chances too. Email me your catch reports at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 4 Revealed: The cheapest towns in Norfolk to buy a home
- 5 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 6 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 7 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 8 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 9 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 10 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover