Sea Fishing: Codling fail to answer call of seas in North Norfolk
A funny old week weather wise didn't seem to impact the fishing too much and sport has continued in a similar vein.
North Norfolk shingle has produced whiting and flats. I've been surprised there haven't been more codling caught in the rough ground along there as there have been some super seas.
The latest Holt club match was won by Bill Beeton with 10 fish for 1lb 7oz, with Dene Conway sharing the spoils with the same weight from seven fish. Fishing was hampered by worsening conditions and the guys caught most of their flatties early on.
A few codling have been reported from Cromer down to Sea Palling with some rumoured from Bacton – hardly surprising given the sea conditions we've had; lovely chocolate-coloured seas with heavy surfs making ideal codling conditions.
Palling to Lowestoft has been quiet – there are still whiting and occasional flats above and below Yarmouth. I reckon a good old easterly will have those codling hanging offshore inside. Gorleston down to Corton has seen a few rods out, with a few lucky anglers managing to snare a codling, though, as it has been most of the season, they are the exception rather than the rule. Below Lowestoft and it's a similar story right the way down to Aldeburgh and Orford where there have been a few codling to 3lb.
You may also want to watch:
Without any east in the forecast I think those fish will hang just offshore eating sprats. All the wind is in the west with a touch of north into the weekend again, strikingly similar to the week just gone. Temperatures are set to drop and this may kick start something but I think we really need a change in the air flow for a day or two to really stir things up.
- 1 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 2 Man dies following crash between tractor and car
- 3 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 4 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 5 Farmhouse sells at auction after 60 bids - but how much did it go for?
- 6 Wife's tribute to horse-loving 'true-gentleman' after inquest
- 7 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 8 12 police vehicles called to 'very serious' crash in west Norfolk
- 9 The Original Factory Shop opens its doors in north Norfolk
- 10 Delays on A47 following crash