School bass to be had this weekend off Yarmouth
There's been some incredible fishing and some enormous fish caught this week – unfortunately they were quite in our region!
The hounds appeared again across the wash, some lucky rods were treated to an awesome night's fishing with lots of fish from low to mid doubles and all in 2-3' of water only 50 yards out.
At that range they would be amazing sport on light carp gear. Rob Allen and his wife caught it right and were rewarded in grand style, just the tonic they needed after some bad news. Another good friend, Matt Lawes, sent me a text following a holiday experience he'd had in Scotland. During a night's fishing off a local pier on the west coast, he hooked two fish over 100lb. Both common skate were estimated as Matt was fishing alone and unable to land them, but from the published wing tip to wing tip weight ratio tables, the bigger of the two was estimated at 98-133lb, fish of a lifetime.
Things haven't been quite as exciting at home, though there have been some nice soles caught below Yarmouth.
I've seen plenty of 30cm+ fish reported from Lowestoft, Southwold and Sizewell. Above Yarmouth and the north westerly brought a surf and some feeding school bass.
You may also want to watch:
Kayakers, fishing the shingle in the north, had several bass but nothing bigger than 3lb that I've seen. I think there'll be a few more school bass around over the coming weekend, the wind has a touch of north to create a surf and the tides are building into the evening, anywhere above Yarmouth.
Below Yarmouth and sole will continue to be the main target, I wouldn't be surprised to see some whiting appear at Orford and Aldeburgh.
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 4 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 5 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 6 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 7 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 8 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 9 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 10 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street