Santiago does Attleborough Boxing Club proud as he takes national title home to Thetford
- Credit: AP
Thetford schoolboy Santiago Weaver did Attleborough Boxing Club proud after returning from Rotherham with a national title.
The 16-year-old Thetford Academy Sixth Form student claimed his gold medal after beating Connor Taylor, of Jimmy Egan's Gym, on a split points decision in the Junior Development Championship under 75kg final.
Weaver started strongly, giving Taylor a standing eight count with an overhand right in the first round and in a show of strength he out-powered his much taller opponent. Weaver stayed close, working well on the inside throughout the second and third rounds.
Head coach Jon Dennis said: 'A national title is a great achievement for Santiago and the club. Santiago has worked extremely hard, putting in many hours in the gym and has massive potential. We are now looking forward to the NABCs where he will compete for a second national title.'
Attleborough Boxing Club Chairman Colin Kilby added: 'It was a pleasure to watch Santiago box. He has trained and worked tirelessly. It was a well deserved win and I couldn't be prouder of him.'
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, the club are storming into the new season. Thetford's Connor Holloway and Michael Jordan were both crowned Eastern Counties champions after their wins in Eastbourne. Holloway, 20, and Jordan, 23, have now moved on to national competition in their bids to be crowned under 56kg and under 81 kg National Senior Novice Champions.
Thetford's Roni Dean will join Jordan on Saturday as they begin their bids for gold in the quarter-finals whilst Holloway receives a bye into the semi finals.
- 1 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 2 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 5 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 6 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 7 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 8 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 9 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
- 10 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low