Same old story for Fakenham – but Diss are hit for eight!

Action from Kirkley & Pakefield's draw with Coggeshall Town. Picture: Brian Grint

Action from Kirkley & Pakefield's draw with Coggeshall Town. Picture: Brian Grint - Credit: Archant

Non-league weekend came and went – and some will be glad to see the back of it.

With fixtures split over two days, only seven Premier Division matches were played on Saturday, but there was a familiar story for Fakenham Town, who lost for the ninth time in 11 games this season, going down 1-0 at FC Clacton.

Thetford Town's struggles continue as well – they were beaten 2-0 at Godmanchester Rovers, their sixth straight defeat which has seen them drop to 12th in the table. But Kirkley & Pakefield picked up a useful point when they drew 1-1 at home to Coggeshall Town – only the third time the visitors have dropped points this season in 12 outings. Tarren Grint scored for the Royals and there was the now familiar visit from Coggeshall's pop star sponsor, Olly Murs.

The Friday night matches saw Gorleston draw 2-2 at Walsham-le-Willows, without Connor Deeks, who along with fellow new signing from Dereham Town, Sam Pledger, was playing for Wroxham – who went down to former east coast derby rivals Great Yarmouth Town.

Bloaters' joint manager Adam Mason said: 'We were clinical in front of goal in the first half taking three of our four chances, and then despite Wroxham dominating the second half that three-goal cushion proved decisive as it was good enough to see us over the line and pick up three valuable points and do a league double over a very good side.'

In the First Division, King's Lynn Town slipped to third, beaten 3-0 away to new leaders Woodbridge Town. But the outstanding scoreline of the day – unless you are a Diss Town fan – was at Brewers Green Lane, when the Tangerines were thrashed 8-0 by second-placed Whitton United.

Norwich United were held to a 1-1 draw at home by AFC Sudbury, while Downham beat Cornard 4-1, and Swaffham drew 1-1 at March Town. The Pedlars are becoming one-point specialists – it was their third draw in a row. Matthew Blackford put them ahead in the 23rd minute, volleying home from 12 yards, but Swaffham were unable to capitalise and 15 minutes into the second half, Luis Duarte saw red, with the Hares converting the penalty to level the match.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter