Sam Sexton pulls out of British heavyweight title fight against Gary Cornish due to injury
- Credit: Jerry Daws/stillfocused
Sam Sexton's British heavyweight title fight against Gary Cornish has been postponed after the Norwich man suffered a back injury.
Sexton was due to take on Cornish for the vacant belt at the Ravenscraig Sports Centre in Motherwell on Saturday - the same night Liam Walsh faces off against Gervonta Davis for the world super-featherweight title.
But Sexton, whose last bout was over a year ago when he beat Hari Miles at The Halls, has been forced to pull out on medical advice.
Cornish's promoter, Paul Graham, admitted to his frustration after cancelling the entire show, but hopes the fight can be rescheduled for later this year.
'I'm absolutely gutted for Gary because he had a real chance of becoming Scotland's first-ever British heavyweight champion - and on home soil too.
You may also want to watch:
'But we've been left with no choice other than to cancel the show because Sexton has pulled out.
'His manager hasn't spoken to me, but he called the British Boxing Board of Control to say that Sexton has had to withdraw on medical advice.
- 1 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 2 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 3 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 4 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 5 Jailed in Norfolk: Burglars, domestic abuse and threats to kill
- 6 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 7 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 8 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 9 Floral tributes left to driver killed in A148 crash
- 10 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
'I don't yet know what that means and whether it's injury or illness which has forced him out, but I'm sure I'll find out in due course when he supplies his medical certificate.
'We'll await confirmation that Sexton is back in training in due course and hopefully look to reschedule early next season, in September or October.
'It's a real disappointment for all the other boxers on the bill and Scottish fans in general, but it's just too late draft in a replacement to face Gary in a fight of this magnitude.'