Sam Sexton plans to silence Larry Olubamiwo on Norwich fight night
- Credit: Archant
Sam Sexton is planning to complete some unfinished business in March when he comes face to face with the man dubbed The War Machine.
The Norwich heavyweight will fight Larry Olubamiwo in what promoter Mervyn Turner says will be his biggest show in the city to date.
It is a rematch of their clash in January 2012 when the two giants of the ring went head to head at York Hall – quite literally.
The result that night went to the judges' scorecard after an accidental cut to Sexton's eye left blood pouring down his face and required 15 stitches – the bout was halted on a technical decision which went to the Norwich man by a single point.
For Olubamiwo, the fight night – on March 8 – is tagged Unfinished Business for a good reason, given his belief that his arm should have been raised in triumph.
You may also want to watch:
'Larry called for a re-match at the time and felt he had some unfinished business but it was pointless back then as I was moving on to a title fight,' he said.
'These things are all about timing and when my promoter, Mervyn Turner, mentioned the fight to me it really appealed, especially in front of the Norwich people. Hopefully this time there will not be a cut and I can show everyone, including Larry, that it was the right result in 2012 and it will be the right result on March 8.'
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 3 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 4 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 5 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
- 6 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 7 'She loved planting flowers' - Tributes left at home of woman found dead
- 8 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 9 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 10 Man dumped rubbish at beauty spot after he 'forgot to put his bins out'
While Sexton went on to fight David Price for the British title, Olubamiwo tested positive for 13 banned substances after the fight and was banned for four years – a punishment that was lifted by the British Boxing Board of Control in 2013.
Sexton v Olubamiwo tops a bill which will also include Norwich's two-weight champion Nathan Dale, Scott Moises, Billy Bird, Craig Poxton, King's Lynn's Charlie Garrod, Joe Payne, Matt Legg and Olympic bronze medallist Bobby George, with confirmation awaited for two or three other fighters.
It looks like being the biggest show yet by Turner, highlighting the talent in the stable of Norwich trainer Graham Everett.
'I am so pleased I could make this fight with Sam and Larry,' said Turner. 'It promises to be a great fight for the loyal Norwich fans.
'With the fighters it's all about timing, but it is looking very good this time around when I hope to have almost all of them in this area on show and we will also be announcing some more debutants for the future as the stable grows for both Graham, Jonno (Jon Thaxton) and I.
'I thought our last two shows were probably the best we have done so far in Norwich with some cracking well-matched fights, but this line-up looks like beating that.
'I said 2014 will be a big year for the stable of fighters in Norwich and I stick by that even more. I am sure both Sexton and Dale will go on to win championships this year and I can see some exciting fights on the horizon for some of the other lads.'
For information call the Ticket line number 07783 594517 or go to www.shamrockboxing.co.uk.