Sam Allardyce set to be announced as new England manager
- Credit: PA
Sam Allardyce was keeping a low profile as the Football Association prepared to name him as the new England boss, with his current employers Sunderland fuming.
The 61-year-old was in the dugout for the Black Cats' 3-0 friendly victory at Hartlepool this evening, hours after it emerged that he is to be appointed as Roy Hodgson's successor tomorrow.
However, he did not return to the touchline after half-time and is understood to have left Victoria Park at around 9pm, in the process both avoiding questions from journalists and passing up the opportunity of a farewell with the 3,859 travelling fans inside the stadium.
The club released a statement minutes after the final whistle insisting Allardyce remained their manager and reiterating their 'anger and frustration' at the process which has led to his impending departure.
It read: 'Naturally we are aware of the intense media speculation this evening. However at the present time, Sam Allardyce remains our manager.
You may also want to watch:
'We share in the anger and frustration of our supporters and would like to assure them that we are working to conclude the matter in the best interests of Sunderland AFC.'
Allardyce is set to be confirmed as the new England manager after an FA board meeting on Thursday to receive the recommendations of the three-man panel – comprising chief executive Martin Glenn, vice-chairman David Gill and technical director Dan Ashworth – charged with the task of identifying the best man for the job.
- 1 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 2 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 3 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 4 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 5 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 6 Couple sell pub with Nelson link after council stops dream project
- 7 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 8 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 9 Derelict pub on eyesore site could be turned into new Co-op store
- 10 Norwich sonic boom: RAF confirms jet 'inadvertently' caused bang over city
The former Bolton, Blackburn and West Ham boss has made no secret of his desire to take charge of his country, having lost out to Steve McClaren 10 years ago, and he has been the bookmakers' favourite ever since it emerged that he had spoken to the FA last week.
Hull counterpart Steve Bruce has since had his own informal interview, while Bournemouth's Eddie Howe and United States head coach Jurgen Klinsmann are also understood to have been on the shortlist.
However, it is Allardyce who appears to best fit the FA's remit, which will extend further than just the senior England team.
Earlier in the day, Glenn told Sky Sports: 'We're not after a short-term mercenary, someone just to do the job for a couple of years. I want someone to come in to the England role to really work with not just the senior team, but to make sure all the great work with the under-16s, 17s, 18s – look at how well the under-19s are doing – and to knit all that together.
'We want someone to do a great job for the England national team, but as well make sure all the development teams are laddering up to something more effective.'
Part of the process will also involve ensuring players at the highest level reproduce their club form when they pull on the England shirt.
Glenn said in a separate interview with BBC Sport: 'The new manager has got to be someone who can inspire people to get the best out of themselves, build resilience and unashamedly adopt the kind of psychological techniques that other sports and other football teams have done, to really inspire people that when they put their England jersey on they play as well for England as they do for their club.'