Sainsbury-Logan nicks points for 10-man Dereham Town with injury-time winner
Ten-man Dereham produced a magnificent battling performance at VCD Athletic to snatch all three points in the dying minutes.
Having seen Robbie Linford harshly shown a straight red after just 24 minutes, the Magpies battled back from a goal down and then grabbed all three points when Will Sainsbury-Logan struck in injury time.
The hosts pressed from the off, although Sainsbury-Logan almost set up Joe Gatting with a burst through the centre only for the striker's low left-foot drive to fly inches past the far post.
The Vickers missed a great chance when Rashid Karmara threaded the ball through to Victor Zapata who had a free run on goal but the striker fired wide after keeper Josh Glover had swiftly closed him down.
Linford saw red for a challenge on Derek Duncan near the centre circle, forcing some adjustments in the visiting ranks. But Athletic took the lead three minutes before half-time when Saio Blackwood released Zapata inside the box to net from close range.
You may also want to watch:
After the break the Vickers won a free-kick 30 yards out but Mitch Hann shot tamely into Glover's arms.
Dereham were competing well – Dan Morphew gained possession inside the home half and found Ryan Crisp who hit a low drive across goal that just eluded Gatting at the far post.
- 1 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 2 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 3 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 5 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 6 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 7 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
- 8 Man and woman found dead in home
- 9 The Empire Strikes Back - our review of the new indoor food market
- 10 Norwich pub to temporarily close this summer because of 'pingdemic'
But they were back in the game on 62 minutes when Gatting was upended in the box and Harley Black levelled it from the spot.
Danny Beaumont turned and fired wide, Gatting headed narrowly over and then had a low drive blocked.
But then Sainsbury-Logan struck, heading home Morphew's deep free-kick to earn Dereham a hard fought victory.
Dereham: Glover, Black, Abodunde (Green 20), Morphew, Frary, Easton-Smith, Sainsbury-Logan, Linford, Gatting, Beaumont (Grant 89), Crisp (Costandachi 86). Ref: R Claussen. Att: 35
VCD Athletic 1 Dereham Town 2