Sailing conditions on Oulton Broad perfect for big Squibs contingent

The weather on Oulton Broad last Sunday was ideal for sailing and the Squibs, with 15 boats out, responded by turning out the biggest fleet on the Broad this century.

Although there are a lot of new helmsmen out in the class it is still the old guard who are taking all the places at the front.

In the first race a couple of boats were over-keen and made premature starts and by the time they had returned their chances had gone as Owen Delany and David Gooch broke clear with Bryan Riley not far behind. David picked up a good breeze on the run and looked as though he was going to repeat his success from the previous week as he went through Owen's lee, but it did not last and Owen was back in the lead by the end of the first round and he stayed there until the finish as David dropped another place to Bryan.

The second Squib race was somewhat chaotic as the starting signal was sounded a minute early, leaving a vey puzzled fleet going round in circles as Kerr Sinclair and Owen Delany set off round the course followed by the rest. As they got back to the clubhouse the race was stopped and another start signalled – this resulted in a general recall, but the fleet got away at the third attempt.

The leaders of the abandoned race, Kerr and Owen, led the correct start. Owen moved up to record his second win on the day as Bryan also repeated his first race position with a second while Kerr took third.

Ben Falat in his Phantom also recorded two wins on the day as he won both Fast Handicap races. Richard Smith in his RS400 led from the start of the first race with Richard Fryer not far behind but Ben was near enough to move up to first on handicap in his Phantom, pushing the RS back to second, while Veronica Falat sailing her Laser for a change, was third.

Ben repeated his success in the second race, but this time David Frary in his Finn moved up from fifth on the water to second on handicap leaving Nick Favell in another Phantom third.

Most Read

The Laser fleet had grown to five and it was left to Simon Marfleet to hold off the two ladies as he moved up from third on the last round to narrowly beat Veronica Falat and Flip Foulds.