Ryman North: Wroxham 1 Brightlingsea Regent 1
- Credit: Archant
Wroxham maintained their encouraging start to the season but were only able to muster a point against newly promoted Brightlingsea.
Apart from the opening ten minutes, the Yachtsmen dominated proceedings and were unfortunate not to take all three points as they failed to finish off the chances that came their way.
Brightlingsea scored in the third minute when a long corner was nodded back across goal for Ben Newson to net with a towering header that found the top corner, giving Elliott Pride no chance.
Wroxham responded immediately, only for Matt Cripps to block Christy Finch's goal bound effort on the turn. A header from Danny White was also cleared off the line.
Wroxham continued to create and Remy Gordon's 25-yard shot was turned away by Brightlingsea 'keeper Luke Avenall.
You may also want to watch:
The home side came out fired up for the second half and Jack Garrod had an early chance, only for the 'keeper to spread-eagle himself to save.
Garrod was not to be denied however and equalised for the home side on 56 minutes with a sublime strike. Picking the ball 25 yards out Garrod looked up and hit a tremendous shot into the far corner.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 3 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 4 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 5 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 6 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 7 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 8 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 9 Former village pub for sale as home
- 10 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
The home side should have taken the lead in the 64th minute when a lovely cross to the far post by Danny Rust fell perfectly for Gordon who ought to have buried the chance but scooped the ball over.
Wroxham continued to create chances and Forshaw headed back across goal but the ball was taken off Finch's boot just as he was about to pull the trigger. Finch had another when set up by Gordon only to curl his shot wide.
Garrod also had an good effort saved by Avenall as Wroxham maintained the pressure while Brightlingsea found it difficult to get out of their own half but defended stoically.
A corner from the left needed just a touch as it crossed the six yard box but in the end the home side had to settle for a point which saw them drop three places to seventh in the table.
Wroxham: Elliott Pride, Stephen Taylor (Danny Self 46), Danny Rust, David Hinton, Andrew Howell, Matt Halliday, Jack Garrod, Danny White (Ross Durrant 73), Jamie Forshaw, Christy Finch, Remy Gordon. Unused subs: Aaron Taylor, Tim Cary.
Brighlingsea Regent: Luke Avenell, Warren Joseph, Jake Gould, Josh Gould, Jake Holman, Matt Cripps, Rick Griggs, Jake turner, Charlie Thompson, Russell Malton, Ben Newson Subs: Sean Barlett, Terry Rymer, James Gregory, Jack Sibbone, Jonah Gosling. Att: 156
Ref: Adrian Sannerude