Ryman North: Aveley 0 Wroxham 5
- Credit: James Bass
Christy Finch bagged four second-half goals as Wroxham carried on their superb form with a commanding 5-0 win over 10-man Aveley.
It's the second time this season that mercurial front-man Finch has notched four times in a match, taking his season's tally to 20 in all competitions and helping the Yachtsmen make it six league wins on the bounce in emphatic fashion.
Wroxham were playing their first game in almost two weeks, but showed no signs of rustiness, controlling the game from the offset, with Jamie Forshaw firing just wide on the angle after 10 minutes.
Andy Howell then had a 13th-minute header cleared off the line as the Yachtsmen looked to impose their authority early, with the visitors managing to muster one real effort at goal in a tight first half, Billy Holland heading just wide from a free-kick on the stroke of half-time.
Wroxham began the second half stronger and found themselves 1-0 up on 51 minutes, Nathan Stone bursting through before being cynically brought down in the box by Billy Sendall. The Aveley defender being shown a straight red card and Finch calmly slotted the spot-kick home.
You may also want to watch:
It was 2-0 shortly after, Finch latching on to a fine through ball from Danny White to finish with panache across goalkeeper James Marrable to seize control for his side.
Wroxham were controlling proceedings against the 10-man Millers and it was no surprise when they made it 3-0 with six minutes remaining, Stone again being bundled over in the box to give Finch the chance for his hat-trick – and he duly obliged with another cool finish from 12 yards.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 3 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 4 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 5 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 6 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 7 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 8 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
- 9 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low
- 10 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
Finch then made it 4-0 three minutes later, striking home from Remy Gordon's ball in from the left, before the latter then got on the scoresheet in added time with a fine strike from 15 yards to complete the win and keep the Yachtsmen's recent fine record intact.
Wroxham now travel to Dereham Town for a crunch league clash tomorrow night (7.45pm).
Aveley: Marrable, Preston, Knott, Sendall, Harrison, Hopkins (Bakare 54), Asante, Holland, Elbi (Francis 81), Stavrinou, Burnett. Subs not used: Jalloh, Weemes, Elliot.
Wroxham: Pride, Taylor, Price, Hinton (Self 89), Howell, Halliday, Forshaw, White (King 85), Stone, Finch, Gordon. Subs not used: Garrod, Rust.