Ryman League journey for Norwich United begins on the road
- Credit: Submitted
Promoted Norwich United's first taste of Step Four football will come outside of Norfolk.
The Planters – back-to-back winners of the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division – visit Great Wakering Rovers on Saturday August 13 in their historic Ryman League opener.
Maldon & Tiptree head to Plantation Park three days later for the club's first ever home game in Division One North.
United have added a host of new faces to their squad after accepting promotion at the end of last season. They will be playing at the club's highest-ever level in 2016/17. Some of those additions will be familiar to two of the sides they play in the coming months, Norfolk rivals Dereham Town and Wroxham.
United's first derby arrives on Tuesday September 20 when they travel to Dereham – who kickstart their fourth campaign at this level by visiting Haringey Borough on the opening weekend.
Matt Henman's Magpies will not have to wait to the second month of the term for their first chance to claim county bragging rights however.
Dereham's maiden home match of 2016/17 is against Wroxham on Tuesday August 16.
- 1 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 2 Man arrested after passenger dies in Old Buckenham crash
- 3 Hopes rekindled for new £20m railway station
- 4 Plumber's plan for 'enormous' garage in his back garden rejected
- 5 'We're over the moon': Family overjoyed as missing Norwich girl returns home
- 6 Police hunting for Norwich man wanted for three weeks
- 7 Manchester City owner eyes Norfolk horse racing enterprise
- 8 Suspect identified in seafront hate attack
- 9 Man made threats to hurt ex-partner's father
- 10 Norwich man sentenced to life imprisonment after murder conviction
Their visitors that night – who only kept their place in the league because of a relegation reprieve – will look to kickstart a far less miserable campaign by producing a positive result at home to Cheshunt. That opening fixture will also be played on August 13.
A host of the area's semi-professional sides will continue their pre-season fixtures today. A selection of those matches are as follows: Wisbech Town v King's Lynn Town, Lowestoft Town v Wroxham, Gorleston v Harleston Town, Mulbarton v Dereham Town Reserves, Downham Town Reserves v Clenchwarton, March Town United v AFC Stanground.