Ryman League journey for Norwich United begins on the road
- Credit: Submitted
Promoted Norwich United's first taste of Step Four football will come outside of Norfolk.
The Planters – back-to-back winners of the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division – visit Great Wakering Rovers on Saturday August 13 in their historic Ryman League opener.
Maldon & Tiptree head to Plantation Park three days later for the club's first ever home game in Division One North.
United have added a host of new faces to their squad after accepting promotion at the end of last season. They will be playing at the club's highest-ever level in 2016/17. Some of those additions will be familiar to two of the sides they play in the coming months, Norfolk rivals Dereham Town and Wroxham.
United's first derby arrives on Tuesday September 20 when they travel to Dereham – who kickstart their fourth campaign at this level by visiting Haringey Borough on the opening weekend.
You may also want to watch:
Matt Henman's Magpies will not have to wait to the second month of the term for their first chance to claim county bragging rights however.
Dereham's maiden home match of 2016/17 is against Wroxham on Tuesday August 16.
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 3 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 4 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 5 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 6 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 7 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 8 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 9 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 10 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
Their visitors that night – who only kept their place in the league because of a relegation reprieve – will look to kickstart a far less miserable campaign by producing a positive result at home to Cheshunt. That opening fixture will also be played on August 13.
A host of the area's semi-professional sides will continue their pre-season fixtures today. A selection of those matches are as follows: Wisbech Town v King's Lynn Town, Lowestoft Town v Wroxham, Gorleston v Harleston Town, Mulbarton v Dereham Town Reserves, Downham Town Reserves v Clenchwarton, March Town United v AFC Stanground.