Ryman Division One North: Heybridge Swifts 7, Wroxham 2
Heybridge Swifts produced a commanding display to outclass a hapless Wroxham at Scraley Road.
Wroxham made one change from the side that were unfortunate in defeat against Burnham Ramblers last weekend, with 16-year-old Liam Brock starting in Joe Marsden's absence, while new signing Klaus Svekis was on the bench after joining the club in midweek.
The hosts started with a composure that justified their elevated league position, passing the ball about with patience and precision in the early exchanges.
Wroxham goalkeeper Luis Tibbles was forced into a couple of early saves from Luke Callander and Russell Malton, before Kevin Dobinson gave them the lead after 22 minutes, benefitting from Tibbles' spill to smash his shot into the roof of the net.
Malton then fired in from the edge of the box five minutes later to make it 2-0, before Dobinson found himself in the right place at the right time again as Tibbles' superb save from Michael Cheek's header fell into his path to head in for 3-0 at half time.
You may also want to watch:
Sam Harty was introduced at the break and he made an immediate impact, bursting down the left to cross for Remy Gordon to tap in and make things 3-1.
Gordon then grabbed his and Wroxham's second after 64 minutes as hopes of a comeback beckoned, finishing superbly from a tight angle after Sam Groves' through ball.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 3 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 4 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 5 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 6 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 7 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 8 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 9 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 10 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low
But any hopes of a turnaround were dashed as the impressive Callander bagged a brace – his first a well taken side-footed volley before a Sam Bantik through ball presented him with another chance, which he duly converted with a clinical finish.
Cheek then got in on the scoring act as he bagged two in the final seven minutes to add gloss to an impressive display, and condemn The Yachtsmen to another heavy defeat.
Heybridge Swifts: Sambridge, Doyle, Barber, Morgan, Hastings, Amass, Cousins (Bantik 69'), Dobinson, Callander (Holdstock 80'), Cheek, Malton (Newson 70')
Subs not used: Moore
Cautions: Doyle 90'
Wroxham: Tibbles, Groves, Halliday, Price, Brock, Pelka, King (Harty 45'), Smith, Gordon, Cary, Sanha (Svekis 25' – 73' Neil) Subs not used: Starkings, Doyle
Cautions: Pelka 56'