Norwich boxer loses out to 'Albanian King'
- Credit: Mark Robinson Matchroom Boxing
Norwich boxer Rylan Charlton came close to pulling off an upset against the ‘Albanian King’ Florian Marku at the SSE Arena, Wembley.
The unbeaten Marku was knocked to the canvas in the sixth round by Charlton, also previously unbeaten, with an excellent left hook but his opponent rallied to take victory in the eighth round.
Charlton, 28, certainly caused Marku problems and set out his intention in the opening round with a thumping right hand. However, Marku responded with a string of stiff jabs and appeared to be goading Charlton throughout.
Charlton looked in trouble in the fourth round when he took a big right hand and Marku looked in control in the fifth. However, Charlton showed his character in the following round, knocking Marku to the floor and continuing the assault in the seventh.
But Marku rallied and Charlton’s courageous effort was ended in the eighth round when he took a crushing right hand and on weary legs his corner threw in the towel.
You may also want to watch:
Marku celebrated and in the aftermath called out welterweight rival Connor Benn, who he hopes to challenge in the near future.
- 1 When can I go to the beach? Lockdown travel questions answered
- 2 Photos show RAF centre being visited by ‘beast’ of an aircraft
- 3 Driver fined after leaving queue before entering Co-Op
- 4 New mass vaccination centre opening in Norfolk
- 5 'Stay local' warning and visitors fined after hundreds head to Sea Palling
- 6 Mum sets up sideline selling jewellery made from breast milk
- 7 Cottage project that is a 'step back in time' coming under hammer
- 8 Revealed: Adult vaccination rates are lower in some areas of Norfolk
- 9 Police fine 39 second-homers and day-trippers in resort crackdown
- 10 Restaurants and pubs reopening outdoors in April