Walsh shows his class to earn place in Golden Contract final
- Credit: Archant
Ryan Walsh showed his class to secure a place in the final of the Golden Contract featherweight tournament.
Walsh scored a unanimous points win over Tyrone McCullagh at York Hall on Friday night and will now face Jazza Dickens, who beat Leigh Wood, in the final.
The Cromer man, backed by the vocal Farmy Army on the balcony at the iconic London venue, had picked a difficult opponent: the southpaw McCullagh was happy to use his superior reach to hit and run, ensuring the semi-final clash was not particularly pleasing on the eye in the opening few rounds.
But Walsh began to get the measure of his man in the fifth and began to turn on the after-burners. He put the previously unbeaten McCullagh on the canvas in the sixth and ninth rounds and turned the fight on its head. McCullagh was no match for the man from Cromer, who fell just agonisingly short of finishing the contest early.
"He didn't want me to have the stoppage bonus, wow," said Walsh afterwards. "I thought he was awkward and he was but I tip my hat to him because when I hit him, his survival instincts kicked in."
You may also want to watch:
The judges scored it 96-92, 97-91, 97-91.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 3 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 4 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 6 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 7 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 8 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 9 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back