Ryan Walsh’s waiting game is almost over as British title bid beckons
- Credit: Archant
The waiting game is almost over for Norfolk boxer Ryan Walsh as he stands within one fight of achieving a dream – and making boxing history.
The 29-year-old heads to Wembley on Saturday for a showdown with Hull's Samir Mouneimne, with the vacant British featherweight title at stake.
The domestic belt is the Holy Grail for boxers – twin Liam has the super-featherweight version and if Ryan joins him, they will be the first twins to hold the belts at the same time.
But Ryan has had to be patient after suffering the effects of a previous British title challenge almost two years ago when he emerged with much credit from a 12-round points defeat to Lee Selby. Since then, few have wanted to touch him because of the danger he poses.
But once Josh Warrington vacated, Walsh was finally given his opportunity – and it is not one plans on wasting.
You may also want to watch:
'I have worked too hard not to win this,' he said.
'It is everything. I cannot afford a second slip up. It has been a long time coming and I cannot wait.
- 1 Former Norfolk police officer jailed over indecent images of children
- 2 Man who has been walking the UK's coastline since 2017 hits Norfolk
- 3 One of North Norfolk's 'most sought after' homes is up for rent
- 4 Two former Norfolk police officers due in court over indecent images
- 5 'Immaculate' modern home with field views for sale for half a million
- 6 'That's awful': Jimmy Carr pokes fun at Norfolk on Good Morning Britain
- 7 Women's fashion store beats the odds and now needs new premises
- 8 'Five years completely wasted' - anger over £300m A47 work
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of robbery and possession of a firearm in Norwich
- 10 Troubled pub relaunched as 'proper local' by new landlord
'It is almost two years since I fought for the title and I have had two fights since then. It has been a long wait, but it has almost worked out better. Liam said we couldn't have made history the night I fought Selby, we can only make it on this night. So maybe that was the reason.'