Romford 0, Wroxham 1: Daniels penalty gets Wroxham off mark
Wroxham gained their first victory in the Ryman League yesterday afternoon – at the fourth time of asking.
The Yachtsmen were indebted to Matt Daniels' seventh-minute penalty away to Romford, which was enough to move them up to 14th place in Division One.
In a bruising encounter Josh Turner ended up in hospital, requiring stitches following a clash of heads with Josh Carus – the second time this season a Wroxham player has ended up in a London A&E department after Andy Eastaugh's injury in the opening game at Potters Bar.
'We were much better today,' said manager David Batch. 'We were much more like our old selves – we weren't devastating, but a bit more like we were last season.'
Victory could have been more convincing, but for a couple of close shaves, with defender Roscoe Hipperson, under pressure, heading over an open goal. We should have two or three by half-time,' said Batch. 'We would have been out of sight.
You may also want to watch:
'In the second half Romford threw more players forward and became more competitive and got closer to us – the game became more even but even then we had more chances.
'It's good to get the win on the board, but it is hard to say what effect it will have – but we are getting back to what we were good at last year.'
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 4 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 5 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 6 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 7 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 8 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 9 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 10 City confirm midfielder exit