Romford 0, Wroxham 1: Daniels penalty gets Wroxham off mark
Wroxham gained their first victory in the Ryman League yesterday afternoon – at the fourth time of asking.
The Yachtsmen were indebted to Matt Daniels' seventh-minute penalty away to Romford, which was enough to move them up to 14th place in Division One.
In a bruising encounter Josh Turner ended up in hospital, requiring stitches following a clash of heads with Josh Carus – the second time this season a Wroxham player has ended up in a London A&E department after Andy Eastaugh's injury in the opening game at Potters Bar.
'We were much better today,' said manager David Batch. 'We were much more like our old selves – we weren't devastating, but a bit more like we were last season.'
Victory could have been more convincing, but for a couple of close shaves, with defender Roscoe Hipperson, under pressure, heading over an open goal. We should have two or three by half-time,' said Batch. 'We would have been out of sight.
'In the second half Romford threw more players forward and became more competitive and got closer to us – the game became more even but even then we had more chances.
'It's good to get the win on the board, but it is hard to say what effect it will have – but we are getting back to what we were good at last year.'
- 1 Norfolk beach named among UK's most contaminated
- 2 Overnight works on stretch of A47 prompt 50-mile diversion for two weeks
- 3 New reservoir could secure region's water supply - but will cost over £1bn
- 4 Revealed: Buyer of Norwich Airport Industrial Estate - and what they paid
- 5 Neighbours describe axe brawl in Norfolk village
- 6 A-levels 2022: All the results from Norfolk and Waveney
- 7 Man in his 20s dies after hit-and-run
- 8 Several roads closed in King's Lynn due to crash and police incident
- 9 'Genuine shock' after biker killed in town centre hit-and-run
- 10 Crews battle overnight house fire in north Norfolk