Rocastle at the double as Dereham see off Clacton

Dereham Town pushed their claims for a top six finish in the Ridgeons Premier League thanks to a comprehensive 4-1 win at home to FC Clacton.

Sam Borrer set the Magpies on their way with a smart finish in the 10th minute after good work by Jordan Rocastle, who doubled the home side's lead midway through the first half.

Dereham were reduced to 10 men in the second half when Jay Eastoe-Smith deservedly saw red after a poor challenge on Aaron Condon. However, it didn't knock Matt Henman's side out of their stride and they made it 3-0 when Rocastle grabbed his second of the afternoon.

Gary Starling made it 4-0 from the penalty spot after Ollie Willis was upended before Clacton got a late consolation through Michael Sommerfield.

Wisbech were left frustrated after a 0-0 draw at home to struggling Felixstowe & Walton.

You may also want to watch:

A bumpy surface and strong wind made for a match low on entertainment in which the Seasiders defended resolutely.

Indeed, Felixstowe registered just one shot at goal in the entire 90 minutes, Tom Roberts beating away skipper Matt Ryland's left-foot effort just before the break.

Most Read

The best chance of the afternoon came midway through the first half when Adam Millson burst clear of the visitors' defence and knocked the ball past advancing goalkeeper Guy Clubb, but Arran Sheppard got back to clear off the line.

Denny Escorcio looked lively for Wisbech, but most of the chances fell to strike partner Chris Bacon, who saw three shots saved by Clubb before the break and two headers go just wide in the second period.

A surprise looked on the cards for already relegated Great Yarmouth Town when they took the lead through Lee Townrow in the second minute at Stanway but the Essex side stormed back to register a 6-1 win.

Norwich United were held to a 1-1 draw at Mildenhall with Andrew Claydon on target for the Planters.

Thetford Town need just two more wins to secure promotion from Division One after they overcame Swaffham Town at home.

Swaffham looked the brighter side in the opening stages with Thetford keeper Dean Mayes doing well to turn over a whipped in free-kick.

However, the visitors were reduced to 10 men in the 25th minute when Steven Harley picked up a second yellow.

The only goal of the game came three minutes into the second half when Swaffham failed to clear a free-kick from the edge of the box and the ball rolled to Matt Dixon, who finished with ease.

Thetford had a scare late on when Joe Jackson came close to gaining an equaliser but Mark Scott's men look to be in a straight shoot-out with Godmanchester, who beat Brightlingsea Regent, for the title.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter