Rising King’s Lynn athlete Holland tipped to make big statement at Norfolk Athletic Championships
- Credit: Archant
Hot prospect Elliot Holland has been tipped by his coach to light up this weekend's Norfolk Athletics Championships.
The 15-year-old won a 400m silver medal at the Scottish Under-18 Indoor Championships earlier this year – his fourth major national medal in 12 months.
The King Edward VII (KES) School athlete produced a then-personal best 51.49 seconds at the Emirates Indoor Stadium. Now, Paul Merrell expects him to do likewise, after running 51.40 recently, against the county's best in his age group on Saturday at Great Yarmouth.
Sprint-based coach Merrell, who has worked with the King's Lynn runner for two years and is in his fourth year of teaching at KES, said: 'It was a fantastic track for him to go up and run on in Scotland and I was hoping for a final. Then it was all up to Elliot.
'For Elliot to get his fourth major medal is another significant benchmark. To come second was fantastic. We've not set too many goals for now as it's his first year at under-18 level. But there's more to come from him I'm sure of that. The county championships are a big chance for him to come out and show why he's won major medals and prove what a talented 400m runner he is. I don't think anybody will touch him, that's not being arrogant, it's just how far I think he has come.'
You may also want to watch:
The sprinter is running eight-and-a-half seconds faster than he did 24 months ago. Only a championship best from Republic of Ireland ace Murphy denied the City of Norwich athlete gold in Glasgow.
Last year Holland completed an indoor and outdoor double for his age group in Scotland and Eastern England. He goes into this summer's outdoor season as the 12th-ranked indoor 400m runner for his age in the UK and 17th across both disciplines.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 4 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 5 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 6 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 7 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
- 8 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 9 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
- 10 Driver's lucky escape as lorry ends up in ditch