Ridgeons: Wroxham stay in hunt

Wroxham steered a course through the weekend's inclement weather to keep up their chase for the Ridgeons League title.

Wroxham steered a course through the weekend's inclement weather to keep up their chase for the Ridgeons League title.

While the game for leaders Mildenhall, away at King's Lynn Reserves was one of four to be postponed in the Premier Division, the Yachtsmen took full advantage to smash Clacton 6-1.

The win moves them to within three points of the table toppers, with two games in hand.

In difficult conditions, the Yachtsmen stormed into a 4-1 half-time lead against the Essex side at Trafford Park.

Thompson pulled the ball back for Gavin Lemmon to open the scoring with a shot that barely crossed the line and Lee Gilman doubled the lead in the 35th minute, following up Thompson's saved effort for his 20th goal of the campaign.

The visitors pulled a goal back when goalkeeper Woodcock saw his attempted clearance cannon of Clacton's Mark White before rolling in.

Most Read

But the Yachtsmen quickly restored their two-goal cushion in equally bizarre circumstances.

Gareth Gibson appeared to have all the time in the world to clear the ball but fired it into his own net, before Gilman added his second with moments left of the half.

He did not have to wait long to complete his hat-trick, notching his third five minutes into the second half and the rout was completed in stoppage time by Andy Key.

Kirkley consolidated their position in the top six with a 3-1 win against Wisbech Town at Walmer Road.

After the Fenmen had a goal disallowed, the Blues took the lead through Carl Chenery.

Before the interval, they doubled their advantage when Chris Sillett tapped home after Conroy saved a Nathan Stone shot.

Ben Goddard gave Kirkley and unassailable lead on 72 minutes but Wisbech never gave up a bagged a consolation in the final minutes with an own goal.

Dereham were also high-scorers after sticking five past mid-table Histon Reserves at Aldiss Park.

The Magpies actually trailed the visitors at half-time as Adam Bensaud scored.

But an inspired second period saw them recover to score five without reply.

Graham Barrett equalised from two yards out on 58 minutes, before Danny Wright powered home Nicky Howell's cross minutes later.

Howell himself then doubled Dereham's advantage on 62 minutes with a header and Jordan Blyth got the fourth ten minutes later.

It was left to Wright to complete the scoring and take the Magpies unbeaten run to eight games.

The games for Diss Town and Lowestoft Town were postponed while Norwich United probably wish their game was too after losing 2-1 at Harwich.

In Division One, only two games went ahead.

Swaffham hammered Long Melford 7-0 while Thetford lost 0-3 to Haverhill.