Ridgeons League Cup final is no foregone conclusion
Wroxham face Wisbech in a potentially intriguing Ridgeons League Cup final at Dereham's Aldiss Park on Bank Holiday Monday, May 2. (3pm)
Wroxham, currently third in the Ridgeons Premier Division, beat CRC 2-0 in the semi-final, with goals coming from Josh Carus and Paul Cook. The Yatschmen's run also included a 5-2 victory over Woodbridge Town and a 6-0 win at Walsham Le-Willows. David Batch's side have won the trophy on two previous occasions, once in 1993 and once in 2000.
The Fenman have also had a relatively comfortable passage to the final, they thrashed Stowmarket Town 6-2 in their own backyard to reach Aldiss Park - altohugh Steve Appleby's side trailed at the break before a storming second half comeback. Callum Reed bagged an incredible four goals, with Andy Furnell and substitute Darren Jimson scored one each, to hand Wisbech victory.
Appleby's side have reached the final thanks to a 4-1 success over Division One side Diss Town and a 3-1 triumph over Kirkley and Pakefield.
It is definitely worth noting that Wroxham have not lost to Wisbech this season in three games. The two sides have met twice in the league this season, the game at The Fenland Stadium ending 1-1, whereas the game at Trafford Park finished 3-1 to the home side. The two teams also met in the second round of the FA Vase where Wroxham ran out comfortable 4-0 winners.
You may also want to watch:
Nevertheless, the beauty of the cup is it that it is a one off game, and anything can happen on the day. The form book and league table goes out of the window.
So, come May 2, Wisbech will not be put off by their failure to beat Wroxham this season, and Batch's side can expect anything but an easy ride to the trophy.
- 1 'I ran for my life' - Neighbour who saw fatal row tells of terror
- 2 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 3 Injured man found on Norfolk beach could be linked to woman's death
- 4 Hospital to close with loss of 120 jobs
- 5 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 6 Fight back against plans for supermarket 'in wrong place' on A47
- 7 Concern over state of beach following £22m sandscaping project
- 8 Man detained under mental health act after Norwich disturbance
- 9 Man dies after 'industrial incident' at farm
- 10 'One crazy decision' - Mother's anguish over son's death as dealer jailed