Richard Bloomfield moves into final qualifying round
Richard Bloomfield has moved into the final qualifying round at $75k Challenger event in Nottingham after two tough wins.
The event is the second Challenger of the Nottingham tennis festival and is a grass court warm up event for many of those attempting to qualify for the Wimbledon Championships.
Bloomfield got off to a slow start after a rain-delayed start; dropping the opening set to British junior Joshua Ward-Hibbert in a tie-break. The Norfolk man found some form however to break the serve of his young opponent and level the match to force a deciding set.
The decider went the way of the second set and Bloomfield moved into the next round with a 6-7. 6-3, 6-3 victory.
Canadian Pierre-Ludovic Duclos put up an equally strong fight in round two however this time, the British number 5 claimed the first set in a tie-break.
You may also want to watch:
Duclos hit back by reversing the score line from the opener to take the match into a final set but Bloomfield was not to be beaten; finding a rare break of serve to win 7-6, 6-7, 6-3.
The 29-year-old from Alpington faces Frenchman Pierre-Hugues Herbert for a place in the main draw of the tournament.
- 1 People queue at Norwich Primark an hour before 7am reopening
- 2 'We haven't slept': Primark shoppers queue outside city store from 3am
- 3 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 4 Couple sell 'amazing' converted water mill after two-year renovation
- 5 Hospital's walk-in vaccine clinic suspended after poor attendance
- 6 Streets of Norwich packed as lockdown rules ease
- 7 Lanes closed after lorry hits A47 central reservation
- 8 Eight pints pulled in first three minutes as pub's 'happy hour' returns
- 9 Boss puts Queen Anne family home up for sale for £1.325m
- 10 Boss says sorry for fake worker's 'vile' comments about Prince Philip
Last week, after losing in the first round of qualifying for another Challenger, Bloomfield kept his eye in by entering a British Tour at the same venue in Nottingham. After two wins, Bloomfield withdrew in the quarter finals to protect his back ahead of this week's tournament.
A 6-1, 6-2 first round win over Matthew Frost was followed up by a 6-4, 6-0 victory over Sizya Kivanda before his withdrawal before the quarter final against eventual winner Tom Burn.