RFU Senior Vase: Beccles 17, Twickenham 15
Beccles progressed to the quarter-finals of the Senior Vase with a hard-fought victory.
Twickenham had come into the game unbeaten in both league and pre-season matches and they immediately demonstrated why. From the off they used their driven line-out to good effect, Beccles infringed and the visitors slotted the three points.
A combination of tight forward play and good hands then allowed Twickenham to go over from close range, despite some brave tackling.
At this point Beccles clicked into gear and Australian Rowney showed fine individual skill to beat several players and score in the corner, Wade slotting the touch-line conversion. After a well matched half the score was 8-7 to the visitors.
The second half continued much in the same fashion and Wade saw a gap down the blindside to crash over and convert his try with a touchline conversion. The dangerous Twickenham again used their driven line-out to good effect and this time reaped the rewards of a converted try.
You may also want to watch:
With the game coming to the latter stages Beccles mounted a comeback. The ferocity at the breakdown was eventually rewarded with a penalty which Wade converted for the match winner.
Beccles have now extended their winning run to eight games and will hope to continue their rich vein of form at home to Wanstead.
- 1 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 2 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 5 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 6 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 7 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 8 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 9 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 10 Up and coming Norwich musician reaches number 13 in UK charts