Revolution star Bason edges win in record time
Team Pedal Revolution dominated the CC Breckland 50 like no team has ever done before, taking first, second and fourth places.
Winner Andy Bason set a course record of 1:43:46 – that's 28.911mph for the 50 miles, riding out and back, alone and unassisted.
Bason's win was by the narrowest of margins as team-mate Nik Bowdler was just one second slower in 1:43:47, with third team counter Mark Arnold finishing in 1:49:19, behind Steve Berry (1:46:44) from Kent club San Fairy Ann CC. Conditions on the Attleborough bypass course looked brilliant – but felt cold. It was 7 degrees C for the early starters, though a bit warmer by the time Bason, at number 60 the first of the Norwich bike shop-sponsored team to start, was pushed off at 8am.
• Duncan Lorne won the incorporated Norwich Amateur Bicycle Club championship with a 1:57:21 ride that put him in the top 10, ahead of a closely-packed Jason Turner (2:2:43) David Moore (2:2:53) and Rob London (2:3:03). Also closely matched were the King's Lynn CC, led by a gloveless and frozen fingered Daniel Bloy 1:53:24, followed by Gary Rushmore (1:55:17) and Martin Long (1:56:12).
• Stephen James wrapped up the overall win in the Mud Sweat and Gears mountain bike series after a race-long battle at the Langdon Hills venue in the Thames Gateway which will host National Series racing next season. James, who is from Palgrave near Diss, was part of an Elite leading group with Ben Thomas, Adrian Lansley and James' young Hargroves Cycles namesake. On a challenging course featuring short, sharp climbs, the group was eventually whittled down to just the Palgrave man and Ben Thomas. Just missing out on a series win was Andrew Manning (Team CCN) who was just 1:15 down on winner Lewis King in the biggest field of the day, the veterans aged 40-50.
You may also want to watch:
• Phil Buick from Wymondham won the series title in the Grand Vets – as did his daughter Imogen in the U18 girls. At Langdon Hills Imogen, with eyes focused on the Nationals next week, raced above her age group, coming fourth among the women, in which her older sister Anna was second, while Phil was second in his race.
CC Breckland 50, Morley: 1 Andy Bason (Team Pedal Revolution) 1-43:46, 2 N Bowdler (Pedal Revolution) 1-43:47, 3 S Berry (San Fairy Ann CC) 1-46:44, 4 M Arnold (Pedal Revolution) 1-49:19, 5 D Bloy (King's Lynn CC) 1-53:24, 6 G Rushmore (King's Lynn CC) 1-55:17, 7 M Long (Kings Lynn CC) 1-56:12, 8 G Stevens (East Anglian CC) 1-56:53, 9 G Frost (API) 1-57:18, 10 D Lorne (Norwich ABC) 1-57:21.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 3 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 4 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 5 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 6 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 7 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 8 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
- 9 Norwich pub to temporarily close this summer because of 'pingdemic'
- 10 Twin Bakes sell out of treats during first pop-up sale