Revenge proves sweet for Norwich
Wymondham 11, Norwich 32: Norwich gained revenge for their defeat in last year's derby with a comprehensive defeat of a Wymondham side that proved unable to capitalise on periods of pressure which could have changed the whole complexion of the match.
Norwich signalled their intention to shake off the previous week's lethargy when Cartwright went over out wide for a try after only four minutes – Rob Micklethwaite failing to convert.
James Wyatt kicked a penalty for Wymondham, who mounted a sustained assault before a breakout led to Micklethwaite relieving the pressure with a penalty for Norwich at the end of the first quarter.
After Wyatt had reduced the score to 8-6 and narrowly missed three other difficult attempts, Norwich scrum half Sawford was forced off with a chest injury. Then both Cartwright and Leake were sin binned – but Wymondham could not reap the benefit of playing against fewer opponents, one surge being brought to a halt when David Micklethwaite stopped a player twice his size.
A try by Rob Micklethwaite, converted by O'Brien, at the end of the first half, was followed by another by O'Brien, which he converted, at the beginning of the second.
You may also want to watch:
With all their players back on the pitch Norwich were beginning to take control but, after a penalty from O'Brien, the Wymondham pack drove David Blake over for an unconverted try at the end of the third quarter.
Wheater earned Norwich a bonus point with a late try which O'Brien converted.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 9 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 10 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed