Relief for Stars’ Lambert as he brings the British title back to Norfolk
- Credit: Ian Burt
King's Lynn sensation Robert Lambert admits it was a 'huge relief' to finally be crowned British Under-21 champion at Poole.
For a third successive year, the Norfolk-born racer won all five of his programmed rides in stylish, quick fashion.
But 2015 and 2016 saw Lambert denied the title after being pipped to the post in the Grand Final.
However, at Poole's Wimborne Road Stadium on Wednesday, it was to be a different story as Lambert held his nerve to beat Adam Ellis, reigning champion Josh Bates and Nathan Greaves as the 19-year-old secured his maiden National individual title.
Said Lambert: 'I actually had a dream last night that I finished second again in the final'
You may also want to watch:
'But thankfully I stayed calm, focused and relaxed all night long and in the final I made a good start and it was easy out front after that. This is one of those stepping stones I've now finally taken to take me a step closer to where I want to get to.
'It feels great and after winning the Premiership Pairs with Chris (Holder) for King's Lynn in March it continues a great start to the season for me.'
- 1 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 4 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 5 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 6 Christmas craft, food and gift fair returning to Norfolk estate
- 7 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 8 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 9 Banham Zoo welcomes birth of two tiger cubs
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
Young Stars skipper Danny Phillips scored four points in the meeting while Josh Bailey withdrew as a precaution following a tumble in heat two.
The Stars are back in Premiership action tomorrow night when they travel to Somerset before another away fixture at reigning champions Wolverhampton on Bank Holiday Monday (6pm). They will be without Holder, who is racing in the opening round of the Grand Prix series, in Slovenia, on Saturday.
King's Lynn's next top-flight meeting at the Adrian Flux Arena comes when they host Leicester on Wednesday, May 10 (7.30pm).
British U21 final scores (after 20 qualifying races): Robert Lambert 15, Adam Ellis 14, Ellis Perks 12, Dan Bewley 10, Josh Bates 10, Nathan Greaves 9, Liam Carr 9, Zach Wajtknecht 7, James Shanes 7, Connor Mountain 6, Max Clegg 6, Jack Smith 5, Danny Phillips 4, Luke Harris 3, Josh Bailey 1, Alfie Bowtell (reserve) 1, Danno Verge (reserve) 1, Danyon Hume 0.
Semi-final: Bates (awarded), Greaves (awarded), Bewley (fell, excluded), Perks (fell, excluded).
Grand final: 1 Lambert, 2 Ellis, 3 Bates, 4 Greaves.