Reed strikes to gain points for Lowestoft
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2014
Playing their first game for three weeks Lowestoft Town scraped a single goal victory which keeps them in touch with the play-off places.
With Adam Smith dropping out through injury Lowestoft were pleased to have Curtis Haynes-Brown back after being out for 10 weeks with injury in an otherwise unchanged team.
There were early shouts for a penalty as Jake Reed was played through the inside right channel and seemed to be clipped from behind but it went unnoticed by the referee.
However a similar incident in the 24th minute saw Reed wrestled down by Tony Sinclair who received a red card from the referee but opinion was divided whether the card was for the foul or his language after being penalised. Whatever the reason the relegation threatened club were left to play the final 66 minutes a man short.
As would be expected Lowestoft were mainly on the offensive but saw a series of crosses either taken comfortably by Michael White or flash across the face of the goal with nobody able to take advantage.
You may also want to watch:
It was a similar story in the second half with the home side battling hard but, with neither keeper having a real shot to save, the game looked destined to end in a goalless draw until Lowestoft finally broke the deadlock in the 76th minute. Michael Frew picked up a loose ball in midfield and played an excellent pass across to Chris Henderson on the right. His forceful run took him past a couple of defenders and as he fell under a third challenge he was able to knock the ball square to Reed, who stroked the ball home from the edge of the area.
Lowestoft had a few anxious moments as they played out the final 15 minutes and can be pleased with the three points gained from a far from classic performance.
- 1 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 2 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 3 Hospital confirms two patients have died from Covid
- 4 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 5 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 6 More than 70 speeding drivers snared in police day of action
- 7 City bar owner tells clubbers: 'Turn off Covid app'
- 8 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 9 Person dies after being hit by train
- 10 7 places to avoid the crowds in Norfolk this summer
Carshalton Athletic: White, Price, Hamilton-Downes (Sub Wilson 80), Males, Sinclair, Rowe, Taylor, Patterson (Sub Henry 80), Dunn, Bradford, Hall (Sub Moraes 29), Subs (not used) Greene, Murphy-McVey
Lowestoft Town: Jones, Williams, Haynes-Brown (Sub S Ainsley 57), Fisk, Gleeson, Gaughran, J Ainsley (Sub Henderson 63), Jarvis, Reed, Frew (sub Okay 86), Eagle.