Red Insure Cup second round: King’s Lynn Town 2 Histon 2 (4-5 on penalties)
Lynn blew a two-goal half-time lead before exiting the Red Insure (League) Cup on penalties, writes Gavin Caney.
The Linnets were in absolute cruise control until two Histon goals inside 10 second-half minutes turned the game on its head and sent the second round tie to spot-kicks. The first nine were dispatched excellently but David Bridges' effort was saved by Brendan Brown to clinch a 5-4 victory from 12 yards and seal the Stutes' progress.
The Lynn fans had been ecstatic up until the hour mark with their much-changed side bossing an almost full-strength visiting team. The moment they had been waiting for had also arrived as Dylan Edge opened his account for the first team.
The highly-rated teenager has been the name on the lips of every Linnets supporter since he signed a senior contract last month. Yet despite some impressive cameos – as well as bagging a glut of goals at reserve and youth-team level – Edge had failed to register for Gary Setchell's side.
However, during his ninth appearance, and first start, that statistic finally changed as the 17-year-old found the net. The frontman thought he'd broken his duck only for Jack Uttridge to help his deflected effort over the line to make it 1-0. But Edge wasn't to be denied in the 33rd minute when Toby Hilliard's shot cannoned off Jack Friend and dropped to the poacher who couldn't miss from six yards.
You may also want to watch:
Town wasted a host of chances and were in cruise control until Guy Rumens' bullet header gave Histon hope. Rogan McGeorge soon levelled matters and the away side were celebrating once again 25 minutes and nine penalties later when Bridges saw his spot-kick turned away.
- 1 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 2 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 3 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 4 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 5 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 6 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 7 Man's neck broken after being hit by 800kg load which fell off forklift
- 8 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 9 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 10 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
Lynn: Street, Bird (Zielonka, 38), Castellan, Gaughran, L Fryatt, Hilliard, Bridges, Smith (Clunan, 51), Friend, Edge, Mulready (Frohawk, 70). Subs not used: Simpson, McQuaid.
Histon: Brown, Trotman, Tilney, Key, Uttridge, Rumens, McGeorge, Auger, Oyinsan (Relizani, 70), Ives, Freeman. Subs not used: Fulcher, Clayton, Carden.