Red Insure Cup second round: King’s Lynn Town 2 Histon 2 (4-5 on penalties)
Lynn blew a two-goal half-time lead before exiting the Red Insure (League) Cup on penalties, writes Gavin Caney.
The Linnets were in absolute cruise control until two Histon goals inside 10 second-half minutes turned the game on its head and sent the second round tie to spot-kicks. The first nine were dispatched excellently but David Bridges' effort was saved by Brendan Brown to clinch a 5-4 victory from 12 yards and seal the Stutes' progress.
The Lynn fans had been ecstatic up until the hour mark with their much-changed side bossing an almost full-strength visiting team. The moment they had been waiting for had also arrived as Dylan Edge opened his account for the first team.
The highly-rated teenager has been the name on the lips of every Linnets supporter since he signed a senior contract last month. Yet despite some impressive cameos – as well as bagging a glut of goals at reserve and youth-team level – Edge had failed to register for Gary Setchell's side.
However, during his ninth appearance, and first start, that statistic finally changed as the 17-year-old found the net. The frontman thought he'd broken his duck only for Jack Uttridge to help his deflected effort over the line to make it 1-0. But Edge wasn't to be denied in the 33rd minute when Toby Hilliard's shot cannoned off Jack Friend and dropped to the poacher who couldn't miss from six yards.
You may also want to watch:
Town wasted a host of chances and were in cruise control until Guy Rumens' bullet header gave Histon hope. Rogan McGeorge soon levelled matters and the away side were celebrating once again 25 minutes and nine penalties later when Bridges saw his spot-kick turned away.
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 3 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 6 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 8 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 9 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 10 City keeper diagnosed with testicular cancer
Lynn: Street, Bird (Zielonka, 38), Castellan, Gaughran, L Fryatt, Hilliard, Bridges, Smith (Clunan, 51), Friend, Edge, Mulready (Frohawk, 70). Subs not used: Simpson, McQuaid.
Histon: Brown, Trotman, Tilney, Key, Uttridge, Rumens, McGeorge, Auger, Oyinsan (Relizani, 70), Ives, Freeman. Subs not used: Fulcher, Clayton, Carden.