Record entry for new year run
VIV THOMAS There was a record entry for the Wymondham New Year's Day10km road race.Paul Wightman, one of the organisers from Wymondham AC, summed up the event - won by City of Norwich runner Carl Goose - as 'excellent'.
There was a record entry for the Wymondham New Year's Day10km road race.
Paul Wightman, one of the organisers from Wymondham AC, summed up the event - won by City of Norwich runner Carl Goose - as 'excellent'.
He added: “It was a very good day. We had a record field of just over 400 - when it was in the paper on Monday we were inundated with entries.
“It was good conditions for running, a bit overcast and foggy, that's what all the runners said when they got back to the hall, and that they had enjoyed the course. There were just over 350 finishers, you always get a shortfall because of the day!”
Race director Karl Chapman, chairman of Wymondham AC, said: “It was a very good day with a good atmosphere and the the weather was just right. Everyone enjoyed it. A few people had to be turned away as the race was full up.”
- 1 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 2 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 3 'We will always miss you' - tributes to QEH pharmacist who died in A47 crash
- 4 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 5 Tractor stopped on A11 found to have faulty brakes
- 6 Norfolk holiday cottage business sold to a leading lettings agency
- 7 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 8 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 9 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 10 Long delays after person cut out of car on A1065
He added that he was grateful to all the Wymondham AC members who helped out with marshalling and other duties, especially considering what day it was. “Thanks to all our members for coming along and helping out - some with hangovers, some not,” he laughed. “We do rely on them coming along to help.”
Wymondham AC's next promotion is on March 2 when there will be a 10/20 mile race, which many runners use as ideal preparation for the London Marathon.
Top three: 1 Carl Goose (City of Norwich AC) 33:10, 2 Neil Davison (Conac 33:32), 3 Stuart Huntington (Conac) 33:51.
Senior: Thomas Crawshaw (Conac) 34:28
40+: Malcolm Tuff (unattached) 36:20
45+: Richard White (Wymondham AC) 37:31
50+: Pete Johnson (Norfolk Gazelles) 37:49
55+: Derry Kelleher (Conac) 38:09
60+ Nigel Rogers (Ipwich Jaffa) 40:31
Senior Team: Carl Goose, Neil Davidson, Stuart Huntington (Conac)
Vets: John White, Ian Taylor, Jim Cooper (Bungay Black Dog)
Top three: 1 Danni Nimmock (Conac) 36:53, 2 Nikki Neal (Belgrave Harriers) 37:51, 3 Phillipa Taylor (Stamford Striders) 38:21
Senior: Nicola Alford (Conac) 38:24
40+: Sarah Knights Conac 39.49
45+: Tracey Curls (NRR) 39.55
50+: Penny Edwards (NRR) 41.40
55+: Veronica Manly (Diss AC) 47.33
60+: Carole Spong (Gt Yarmouth RR) 48.32
Senior Team: Danni Nimmock, Nicola Alford, Sally Withey (Conac)
Vets: Tracy Curl, Penny Edwards, Dawn Carver (NRR)