Ratcliffe rewarded with first GB call-up
Talented Norfolk teenager Amber Ratcliffe has shot to the forefront of girls' international golf with her first call-up to a Great Britain and Ireland team.
The Royal Cromer player has been selected to represent GB&I in the first playing of a new U16 match against the Continent of Europe. It is a junior version of the ladies' Vagliano Trophy and the two events will take place simultaneously at Royal Porthcawl, South Wales, on Friday and Saturday, June 24 and 25.
Selection is a huge feather in the cap of the 15-year-old Norfolk champion – and just reward for her hard work, determination and impressive results. Ratcliffe could not disguise her delight when she learned the news and greeted the information with whoops of delight.
'I am so happy. This is something I really wanted to play in and it's going to be the highlight of the year so far,' she said. Ratcliffe knew she had attracted the interest of the selectors when she came third in the Scottish U16 championship – missing out on a play-off by just one shot.
She followed up by winning the girls' championship at the Fairhaven Trophies, eagling the last hole in strong winds to snatch victory by a shot.
You may also want to watch:
Ratcliffe went on to the English women's amateur championship where she qualified for the matchplay, but was disappointed to be knocked out in the first round. However she immediately returned to Norfolk to win her first county title.'
Ratcliffe, whose handicap is edging to plus-one, trains with England's Select Midlands squad. Other targets for the season include defending her title at the English U16 schools championship where she will aim for a hat trick of consecutive wins.
- 1 Couple sell pub with Nelson link after council stops dream project
- 2 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 3 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 4 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 5 Derelict pub on eyesore site could be turned into new Co-op store
- 6 Shop worker receives complaints for asking customers to wear face masks
- 7 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 8 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 9 Norwich sonic boom: RAF confirms jet 'inadvertently' caused bang over city
- 10 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed