Racing pundit visits Great Yarmouth ahead of tonight’s televised greyhounds meeting
- Credit: Nick Butcher
The Sky Sports cameras are rolling into Yarmouth Stadium tonight for the Trainers Championship greyhounds meeting.
Racing pundit Gary Wiltshire has been out speaking to punters in the town's Betfred shops this afternoon and giving out free bets and gifts to promote the meeting.
Mr Wiltshire used to live locally, at Winterton, before famously losing £1.4m at Ascot in September 1996 - the afternoon Frankie Dettori rode seven winners.
The achievement left bookmakers like Wiltshire with huge sums to pay out and meant he had to sell his house and cars.
Mr Wiltshire, who now lives in Stratford-upon-Avon in the West Midlands, said: 'I've got some real good memories of the dogs. I used to be a pundit for the BBC but just do Sky now and we only come here once a year.
You may also want to watch:
'I remember bringing my son here, who's 24 now, and he fell off the climbing frame at the dogs and we had to get an ambulance to the James Paget Hospital.
'So we were always coming here. Like a lot people from London, you used to go to Southend or Great Yarmouth on your holidays, and this place always stuck in my mind.'
- 1 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 2 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 3 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 4 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 5 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 6 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 7 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 8 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 9 'Business as usual' as shopping mall enters administration
- 10 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
Tonight's meetings gets under way at 6.30pm, featuring the six top trainers and greyhounds in the UK and £30,000 in prize money, with the Sky cameras featuring six of the night's races.